Pieces by John Golland.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by lilcornetgirl, Feb 3, 2004.

1. lilcornetgirl

lilcornetgirl Member

I have a big thing with John Golland and i have heared alot and i would like to now is there anywere were you can here pieces by him. I think its amazing and i have this big thing for him. Please help me with this if i could download it that would be mint aswell or if someone can send it to me. Plz tell me were i can listen to it atleast. :D I cant find anyhting though AGHHHHH :lol:

2. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Stan Lippeatt's CD called "Friends" has John Golland's Flugel Horn Concerto on it - I think it's lovely and bought the sheet music for it... I've had a look at it but not a serious attempt to play it (that's too much like hard work :wink: )

Kirsty

3. HBB

HBB Active Member

You shouldn't be able to find it on the internet free (see copyright factsheet).

4. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

Salford Uni Band are doing a John Golland Concert sometime soon. Not sure of a date or exact program, but we're doing his "Concerto for Band", "Aria", and "Sounds".

5. Toby

Toby Member

It is a 1 o clock start though which might rule it out.

6. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

haha :D
    well if you can get out of bed for 1 o'clock... (i knw the band will be struggling) then come along.. date tba :p

7. T-Horn

T-Horn Member

hey aidan do RNCM students get in free :lol: :wink:

8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

9. MattB

MattB Member

John also did a wonderful arrangement of Deep Harmony, can't remember who published it, but I remember it as one of the best arrangements of a hymn tune I can remember.

10. ted

ted Member

I have that CD.
    All music are played by Brass Band Berner Oberland.

Not the best playing I've ever heard but it does have a lot of Golland pieces.

Ted

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    John Golland
    anyhting
    AGHHHHH
    big thing
    mint aswell
  12. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Sounds is class!!! He also did a solo for baritone, but died before he finished it so Roy Newsome finished it off for him, how kind!! Pete Christian premiered it when I was at Salford.

13. ukdrummerboy

ukdrummerboy Member

We're currently playing one of his piece's called "Mieso" (i believe thats how you spell it, but could be wrong!) Its a Horn and Baritone duet that has a Japanese flavor to it (pentatonic throughout cornets and glock.) I believe it was written for Black Dyke when they toured Japan in 1990.

14. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

We will be givin his Euphonium Concerto a run out at our next Band in residence concert for durham uni.

its on the 28th Of Feb. In Elvett Church Durham.

15. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Who is playing the solo Euph part?

16. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

I love his Scherzo for Tuba!! It is a simple, yet exciting piece of music that I could play over and again!

17. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Until you get it right :?: :wink: :lol:

18. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

I have the parts and recordings of Golland's Euph Concertos 1 and 2 plus Peace. All in my mind are terrific pieces and it helps set Golland up as one of my favourite composers, alongside Ellerby and others.

19. cornetshell

cornetshell Member

hiya dave- didnt know you wre a "tMP-err"

yeah the concert at Salford uni [yes the 1o'clock one]
    iiiiisss the 16th of March [tuesday?]
    i think? well thats the date i have in my diary so if not you will hear a solo 2nd cornet part by me :roll: :shock: :roll:

:p

20. NAS

NAS Member

Didnt John Golland do Peace? Yeah, think he did :) .

21. tim

tim Member

Paul Robinson will be playing it.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    John Golland
    anyhting
    AGHHHHH
    big thing
    mint aswell