Piece information help!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Hollie, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Hollie

Hollie Member

I am playing 'Concert rondo' by Mozart, arr. by Walter Beeler and tryin to find information about the original piece, what instrument it was written for, what event, etc. Interenet is bringing up loads of rubbish so wondereed if any of you amazing people had any information about it's history!
    Thanks!!

2. kate_the_horn

kate_the_horn New Member

french horn

theres one for ya!

kx

3. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

no idea about its history but if its the one i think your talking about im listening to it and at scool we sing it cos some idiots gone and put words to it and they are very stoopid it goes on about how he buys a french horn learns how to play it then someone steals it so he takes up the tuba!I hate the words but i like the tune.

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Which Mozart Rondo (or Rondeau) are you on about? Is it the K.371 in Eb Major or K.514 in D major?

5. kate_the_horn

kate_the_horn New Member

nope, thats one of the movements (1st or 3rd) from the 4th horn concerto.
    if you have the words, please let me have them!!

kel xx

6. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

It ses its rondo from the 4th horn concerto in Eb but i dunno.An why do you want the words!?il nick a copy of it from scool ive got a lesson tomorow.

7. kate_the_horn

kate_the_horn New Member

just curiosity!!- i've heard about it!

it IS rhono (thats the movement) from the 4th horn concerto

Hollie wants the Concert Rhondo.

k x

8. Janet Watkins

Janet Watkins Member

I knew it would be out in cyberspace somewhere!

Here are the words

Enjoy

Janet

9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I'll describe in brief what John Humphries has researched for both the Rondos ...

Mozart composed his horn concertos in his spare time for a family friend called Joseph Leutgeb and did not attempt to publish any. Both Rondos are in fact movements of incomplete concertos.

The first rondo (Rondeau K.371 in Eb) was actually only a draft copy, with only the solo and frist violin parts completed in the exposition and recapitulation. The Development section was only a short linking passage which was probably intended to be expanded later. The orchestration only was hinted at on the score. Mozart abandoned this concerto and did not return to it at any stage. It must be mentioned that his son later gave away pages of this work as souvenirs but amazingly, most of the original pages have been recovered. Any form of these movements can only be viewed as 'completions' of what Mozart might have actually written.

The Rondo in D Major (K.514) actually is another form of the rondo from Concerto No.1 in D major which was completed after Mozart's death by Franz Xaver Sűssmayer. At this point it must be mentioned that although the concerto is listed as No.1, it was in fact the last concerto Mozart was writing. The poverty stricken Mozart family saw this as a means of generating dosh and forwarded the drafts of the concerto to Sűssmayer. However, he took a lot of the original ideas out and replaced them with a few of his own, including a plainchant quotation from the 'Lamentations Of Jeremiah'. Another factor in Sűssmayer's rewriting of the Rondo was Leutgeb's failing playing ability with age, especially his range. The concerto was dropped from the key of Eb to D major. Lower notes from the concerto were also removed restricting the solo line to a single octave.

Hope this helps!