Piece in need of a band.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Brass_Head, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Brass_Head

Brass_Head New Member

Hello, my name is Andrew Mackereth, as a tribute to my Grandma I wrote a piece entitled: Angel of the North.

I really hoped Reg Vardy Band (Ever Ready in my day) might pick it up but I have so far failed to attract any interest.

Thing is it is a three movement 3rd 4th Section concert piece that i really wanted my Gran to hear before she died. Alas, she died on Wednesday of this week.

It is still important to try and get it played and recorded, if anyone can help please make contact.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Angel of the North
    Section
    Andrew Mackereth
    Reg Vardy Band
    concert piece
  3. P_S_Price

P_S_Price Member

Have you approached Birmingham Cit?
    A small favour maybe for all the contributions you have made to SA Music?

4. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

I have a 3rd/4th Section band that would love to have a go at it... It won't attract any publicity in the Brass Band World and won't get it recorded but I'd be happy to try it and maybe include it in our 2011 concerts.

5. Brass_Head

Brass_Head New Member

I would be happy to send you a set of parts and a score.

6. Brass_Head

Brass_Head New Member

It is a secular piece and one that is suited to a band with strong North East connections.

7. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Hi Andrew,

My condolences on your grandmother's passing. I wish you success in getting this piece played and recorded. Kindest regards.

8. Simon_Horn

Simon_Horn Member

Andrew, i'm sorry to hear about your grandmother. I have a 2nd section band (Fulham Brass Band) in London that would be prepared to play this and record it if it is suitable for the band/timescales.

Please can you send me the score in pdf or Sibelius 5?

Thanks,

Simon
    simon@brassbander.com

9. T Winch

T Winch Member

Hi Andrew,

I play for Felling Band. We are a championship section band who rehearse within sight of the Angel of the North. You could try contacting our MD to see if he is interested in this piece as it is relevant to the location of our band. His name is Stephen Malcolm and he is registered on the Mouthpiece as The Dragon

10. Brass_Head

Brass_Head New Member

That would be excellent. The funeral for my Gran is actually in Felling on Thursday. What a small world.

11. T Winch

T Winch Member

Even smaller than you might think. I believe you know my wife (Dawn Bradwell from Millfield S.A). I've mentioned your piece to our MD and he seemed interested. I'll send you a PM with his email address

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Angel of the North
    Section
    Andrew Mackereth
    Reg Vardy Band
    concert piece
  13. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

hi Andrew
    My condolances on you Grandmother.
    Sounds like it would be a wonderful peice of music. I can't gaurantee it getting recorded but certainly it can be played far and wide if you could send us a copy I'll pass it on to our Bandmaster.

14. Andrew Norman

Andrew Norman Member

Had a first look at "Angel of The North" last night and was well received by the band.
    The third movement "Symbol of Joy" they enjoyed the most and I feel the rest will "grow on them" - this movement at least will make it onto our summer programme.

1st Baritone (aged 70) took the high D in his stride just saying - " I didn't know what note it was and wouldn't know the fingering anyway..." so I don't think that part will get played.
    2nd Baritone (the Senior of the pair) looked at the notes above the stave and said "Not with these dentures mate !! "

Thank you for letting us have a look and I hope other bands take up the offer - well worth spending time on.