Piano tuners?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by euphfanhan, Sep 17, 2005.

1. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

Does anybody know of how much an average piano tuner charges? Is it based on age/ type of piano, or is there some sort of standard price? My piano seems to have gone mad recently, the lower notes are completely flat and the higher notes are really sharp!:eek: The ones in the middle seem ok for now though...:rolleyes:

2. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

about £35 I think

3. flower girl

flower girl Member

between £30 and 40, if they charge you any more then they're ripping you off. and it doesn't matter the age or condition of the piano. i get mine re-tuned once a year.

4. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Depends how out of tune your Piano is. Mine is a full semitone flat (though in tune with itself), and the tuner always refuses to try to bring it back up to A=440 Hz on the grounds of its age (~100 years, he claims). The price he quoted for it, should he attempt it, was £100+, although his normal rate is £45 per tuning.

5. NeilW

NeilW Member

I think I paid about £35 last time I got ours done - by a guy in Chinnor if you're interested, Dave.

He also suggested that pulling it up into tune (440) wasn't a good idea - there's a quite high probability of breaking strings which soon gets very expensive! He opted for taking it all up a bit, but in tune with itself and its not that far off now.

My pianola is only about 80 years old, with an iron frame I just wish I had time to sort out the pneumatics and get the pianola bit working better!

Neil.

6. rutty

rutty Active Member

Many older pianos require more than a tune - you can hardly blame a tuner for charging more if he has to spend three hours tuning a bag of poo piano.

A friend of mine is a self-employed piano tuner. He charges £35 for an upright and £45 for a grand and he's on the cheap-end of the market too. Sharon knows him - Alan Carlin - and by all accounts he's very good at it too. I can supply his phone number for anyone in the Nottingham area that needs it doing :cool:

If you're serious about your piano you'll get it tuned very six months.

7. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

yeah he's a good lad and does a through job, he also repairs brass instruments too:)

8. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

gosh. i like my piano tuner... Ian Smith, french horn player, good ear and cheap.
    huzzah!
    xx