Piano and Brass Band

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by audleyshedbuilder, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Does anybody know of any pieces that have been arranged for piano / keyboard or organ and brass band.

Any suggestions would be welcome

2. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Howard Snell's arrangement has an optional organ part - sounds fantastic and hides a few sins in the band parts too ;)
  3. dyl

dyl Active Member

That'll be Howard Snell's arrangement of.............................?
  4. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Doh!! Well I know what I'm talking about, why doesn't everyone else?! :redface: :oops: :oops:

OK, if you can't guess, then I suppose I'll have to tell you. Procession to the Minster!
  5. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Finlandia can be done with organ. There are a few Langford arrangements (The Lost Chord and a few hymn tune things) that can also use organs. There's an optional organ part for the Sop solo version of The Nun's Chorus.

The piano things I've come across tend to be quite serious in nature. What kind of stuff are you looking for?
  6. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Suite Gothique was originally an Organ piece. I have played this with band and an accompanying organist in St Davids Hall Cardiff... sounds brilliant.
  7. KMJ Recordings

Good call - I've got a massed band recording (Besses, Fodens and someone else - sorry guys) with Roy Newsome at the Organ, HM conducting and introduced by Charlie Chester somewhere :D
  8. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

Elgar Howarth has arranged Shostakovich's 2nd Piano Concerto for Piano and Brass Band.

We played it at the world brass band championships in 2005
  9. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure I've heard an arrangement of Rhapsody in Blue for piano and band....I think it could've been at a Desford concert waaaay back in the old DeMontfort Hall. Not sure if it's published though...
  10. Jacob Larsen

Jacob Larsen Member

Edward Gregson has witten a solo piece for piano & brass band .... Concerto For Piano ??? Concertino ??? I donĀ“t remember the title... I think it was played at the gala concert at the Nationls some years ago...
  11. KMJ Recordings

Concertante for Piano and Band
  12. Jacob Larsen

Jacob Larsen Member

Thats it :) Thanks :)
  13. I'm not really sure what kind of piece I'm looking for, but our conductor has promised that every player should have a go at playing a solo. As the piano is my first instrument (apologies to die hard brass fans - you can throw your tomatoes now), and the piano is technically a percussion / string instrument that's what I'd like to play. If I have to learn to play the organ then so be it. (I have access to the local church organ).
  14. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Ray Steadman-Allen's "Fantasia for piano and Band: Christ is the Answer" is worth exploring (strongly influenced by "Rhapsody in Blue" in places). Bram Tovey has played it on a few occasions with Fodens and the Clarence Adoo band.

Richard Phillips has done a few arrangements featuring piano and band, including "Such love", which we have used on several occasions, but I'm not sure whether it has actually been published.

Equally, Steven Bulla has done a couple, including "Handel in the Strand" and a version of Erik Leidzen's "The children's friend". At least one movement of Rachmaninov was arranged by Michael Kenyon, but again I don't know if it has been published.
  15. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

Don't you mean the 1st movement of Grieg's Piano Concerto? It's been around in MS for many years.
  16. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

I'm Sure Hampshire Youth Band Recorded it too with piano??
  17. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

There's a piano part in Howard Snells arrangement of Ottorino Respighi's Roman Festivals...

As recorded on Britannia's Pines of Rome CD.
  18. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Bill Himes has transcribed the last movement of Rachmaninov's 2nd Piano concerto for piano soloist to be accompanied by band. Very good arrangement - I remember hearing Richard Phillips perform with the ISB at the RAH.
  19. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

The NYBBW played a Concerto for Piano four hands and brass band this summer - can't remember who composed it though! How helpful.

If you could find a playing partner it's a great piece, the third movement is really rhythmical and lots of fun!
  20. skimbleshanks

skimbleshanks Member

The Tales and Stories CD by Eikanger-Bjorsvik contains a piece for organ and band. Track 7 : Nade M/s, Organ Soloist: Iver Kleive, Iver Kleive and Knut Reiersrud, arr. Rydland, 5.44. Don't know if it's published though.