Piano and band

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Trumpet Major, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Trumpet Major

Trumpet Major Member

Hi
    can anyone suggest a piece for Piano and band (concert or brass band parts welcome).
    Cheers

louise

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Hi
    Cheers louise
    Piano
    band Hi
    concert
  3. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

For a concert band, try Rhapsody in Blue
    (if your pianist is up for it)

4. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Rather depends on the ability of your soloist, ability of your band and the context in which the piece is going to be played, of course, but there are a number of original works you could choose - although I suspect most of them are quite challenging technically:

• Concerto for Piano and Band, by Roy Newsome
    • Rhapsody for Piano (three hands) and Band, by Gordon Jacob
    • Pictures in the Smoke, by Bram Tovey
    • Cabaret Concerto, by Martin Ellerby
    • Concertante for Piano and Band, by Edward Gregson
    • Concerto for Piano and Band, by Mervyn Burtch
    And I'm sure there are arrangements of works from the classical repertoire - I recall hearing (I think) Shostakovich's 2nd Piano Concerto with the accompaniment arranged for band (by Elgar Howarth, I think). All I can think of for the moment.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  5. Puritan

Puritan Member

There is Also Ray Steadman Allens "Fantasia For Band -Christ Is The Answer".A Classic that rarely seems to get an outing :(

6. Frontman

Frontman Member

Have a word with Keith Lever on that one.

7. Trumpet Major

Trumpet Major Member

Thanks

Thanks all
    My pianist is extremely competent but I'd like to see/hear the Newsome concerto as I like his cornet stuff....
    Anyone know where I can get any of these?
    Cheers
    Lou

8. James Yelland

The Roy Newsome concerto appears on an old Black Dyke LP called Ivory and Brass. Copies occasionally pop up on Ebay, but you will of course need a deck to play it on!

Similarly, the Gordon Jacob Fantasia was recorded by Solna Brass on their LP Swedish Brass, and this too comes up on Ebay surprisingly often.

The Gregson Concertante appears on the 1989 Nationals Gala concert CD, which has long since been out of production, and I have to say I can't recall ever seeing that one pop up on Ebay. I'm not sure if it has been recorded by the Salvation Army bands though.

Of the others, Bram Tovey's piece can be heard on the Fodens CD Maestro, the Martin Ellerby piece is on Grimethorpe's recently released CD of Ellerby's music (both available from the usual outlets, 4BarsRest, Midland CD, World of Brass etc). I know of no commercial recording of Mervyn Burtch's piece. I admit to absolutely loving Pictures in the Smoke - but then, I don't have to play it!

Can't help you with the publishers, I'm afraid, but I'm sure there is someone around here who can!

9. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

It's on the NYBBW 10th Anniversary concert recording, which WAS commercially available but I doubt any retailers still have a copy.

Lots of Shostakovich influence (to my ears at least) - quite dark, but melodic and full of rhythmic invention. Good piece, not quite as easy on the ear as the Gregson though.

10. Trumpet Major

Trumpet Major Member

Ta

Thanks again all for that info. Most useful indeed :)

11. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

... which might have something to do with the fact that the band are required to sing - and it's scored for male-voice chorus; not many all-male bands left these days ...

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Hi
    Cheers louise
    Piano
    band Hi
    concert
  13. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

The first movement of Grieg's Piano Concerto was arranged for band accomp. by Michael Kenyon a number years ago. It might still be available through World of Brass or another SA affiliate.

I remember Edward Gregson playing his Piano Concertante with the ISB in the Royal Festival Hall in the 1960s.

Steadman-Allen's Fantasia was written for himself to perform with the New York Staff Band in the early 1960s. The band featured its male voice singing on programmes, so RSA made use of voices to sing the central theme, "Christ is the Answer".

His performance with the ISB in the Royal Albert Hall in 1965 can be heard here:
    http://www.regalzonophone.com/EP's & LP's - LRZ4013 - The Holy War.htm

I think Bram Tovey played the Fantasia with the ISB at the Fairfield Hall a year or two ago.

14. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Try contacting KH. They performed the Grieg on the rock one year for piano and band.

15. James Yelland

Your original post set me off and I spent a pleasant hour yesterday evening digging my old vinyl platters out and re-acquainting myself with some of these pieces. While I was listening I made a note of publishers:

• Newsome - published by Mecolico, which I think is not a publisher at all but some sort of copyright agency??
    • Jacob - Novello
    • Ellerby - Studio Music
    • Tovey - shown as 'B Tovey' which I take to mean that it is not published and still in manuscript
    • Gregson - manuscript, presumably available direct from the composer

16. James Yelland

That's interesting to know. Is this a CD or an LP? Is there anything else of interest on this recording? I must keep an eye out for it.

17. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

Can't remember the arranger but 'Scarlet Ribbons' is simply lovely - the piano part would be good enough itself with the soloist, but it does go well alongside the band. :D

18. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

In my school band back in the distant past we played "The Dream of Olwen" by Charles Williams with the late great Robert Docker at the piano! I don't know if it was a published arrangement or one that our conductor did but it was a great piece.

19. Keith Stanley James Lever

Keith Stanley James Lever Supporting Member

Piano & Brass Band

Do believe that Scarlet Ribbons was arranged by Andrew Duncan some time back (around 2003) and recorded by "Sellers International Band" on Doyen DOYCD158 'American Landscapes' ~ not sure about the availability of the sheet music though.

KSJ.

20. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

It was definitely on tape, because I've got one. It might also have been available on CD, not sure. It's also got Alun Hoddinott's Symphony for Brass and Percussion on it, which is a belter. Rock 'ard, though...

21. bbbluey

bbbluey Member

Rhapsody in Blue works extremely well for full brass band and piano. Have performed this brillaint Gershwin work with 2 superb pianists.

22. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I seem to recall at least one movement of Shostakovich's 2nd Piano Concerto being done with band in the past few years. (Just looked it up, and it was played at Gateshead by Faireys in an arrangement by Elgar Howarth). The 2nd & 3rd movements were also played by Reg Vardy in their 2005 World Championships programme.