Photos: Some landscapes for you...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TheMusicMan, Apr 24, 2009.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hi All

Had a great weekend down in Sandymouth Bay, Cornwall last weekend for Heathers U12's rugby tour. Sandymouth bay is indeed a gorgeous location, typical of the fantastic scenery in Cornwall. I managed a few land/beach scape images with a lens loaned to me from a friend - the Olympus 7-14mm, which is suited to the wide angle shots I wanted to attempt.

I also tried out tone-mapping; a sort of pseudo HDR style which is supposed to add more vibrance, dynamic range and contrast to the images it is applied to. See what you think...

2. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

These are beautiful, John. Well done!
  3. TheMusicMan

Thanks Kirsty, appreciate the comments. I'd love to be in your part of the world with the lens I have at the moment - some awesome landscape opportunities not a million miles from were you are.
  4. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Those look too amazing to be real!
  5. Cornishbassman

Cornishbassman New Member

Definately real ... I'm so lucky my inlaws live a couple of miles away from Sandymouth - great beaches!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  6. Great Pictures !!!!
  7. TheMusicMan

Thanks all for the comments.

Hey Pat, they are real beaches... :)

The don't pretend to be exactly what the camera saw, or exactly what the eye saw, as they are processed, but only via a technique of merging 5 shots - each taken of exactly the same scene, all taken on frame burst within a second, and each at a different exposure - then merging these 5 shots to create a scene containing additional dynamic detail that would otherwise not have been seen.
  8. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

very nice pics john
  9. I got on your site through the links. You do good work, we really enjoyed the pictures.
  10. TheMusicMan

Thanks William, I appreciate you taking the time to dog out the link to my site (it is in my sig though :) hehe)

I have been to a ruined 11th C castle today, and while I still have the lens I have borrowed from a friend for a few more days - I have taken some more of these type of images that I am about to process. Would appreciate your comments on these too when they are uploaded.

Thanks William.
  11. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Fantastic pics John - I love landscape photography!
  12. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Very interesting images John. I would be interested in seeing the unprocessed images for comparison. I just love Cornwall but don't recall ever visiting this location; it's quite beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
  13. Pops2501

Pops2501 Active Member

The first one looks like some sort of alien landscape! ;)

Excellent pictures again John

April xx
  14. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

Absolutely awesome..! Having seen previous pics of yours I could never say that photography is boring; they really are lovely. :clap: