Photocopying Issues!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Roger Thorne, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Hi folks,

Have you seen the latest 'tax' our wonderful Government are proposing. :shock:

I think this information might be of interest to Band Librarians!

2. twigglet

twigglet Member

:cry: dammit, will actually have to do some work myself now instead of tactical 'borrowing' .. :roll:
  3. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

Blimey, first they introduce top-up fees for students, now they expect us to pay to copy information we are having to pay extra for!!! Not easy being a music student when the original sheet music costs more than we can afford! :evil:
  4. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

I hope you got permission to reproduce this article from whichever newspaper you lifted it!
  5. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

good point!!!
  6. Moy

Moy Active Member

What's todays date? :lol:
  7. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

Er, yes. Point taken! But in which case, Mr Thorne has cheated because he posted it yesterday :!:

However, the general gist of the 'article' seems perfectly fair to me! And given our dear Chancellor's money-grabbing tendencies, which make the average sticky-fingered accountant look like a philanthropist with an allergy to money, it is all too believable!
  8. NeilW

NeilW Member

How will they return the fees to the people who's work has been copied?

i.e. how will Roger get his copywrite money if I make a photocopy of one of his arrangements or will the government pocket it?

What about the <lots> of copiers that are already out there or ones that are traded secondhand?

9. one_careful_owner

one_careful_owner New Member

Ahh, to be a librarian with my own photocopier!

I dream of the day when i don't have to hang around until everyone else has left the office to get access to a photocopier!

You must know lots of rich bands! :p
  10. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

you mean your photocopier at work doesn't have wheels?? :wink:

anyway, shame on you roger for posting 3 hours too early! I believe you now owe a drink to every tMPer... best sell some extra scores eh?
  11. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Indeed, despite the fact that initially, they couldn't find room for me (!) I was eventually invited to a seminar held here at PRS to explain the recent changes in the UK copyright law and the clampdown on photocopying. There have been other minor changes, mainly regarding anomalies in copyright law between here and the USA but this was the main issue of interest!

12. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Cheers for this Dave.. maybe we should look to including a section within our Copyright FAQ pages... :?:

I shall set about doing this...
  13. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

In my opinion the timing of this annoncement is yet another example of (bad) news being released at a time when people are not likely to notice it or take it seriously. How many times have we seen this done in recent months, where something is leaked whilst everyone's pre-occupied with other more important issues? The powers that be probably thought they'd get away with it, so that things would be up and running before anyone realised what they were up to.

After the changes in licensing for live music venues, is this another attempt at a stealth tax being imposed?
  14. Roger Thorne

Lynchie - I realise that you think this may be a wind-up, but believe me this is a genuine move by the Government to stop Copyright Fraud. Being a composer and arranger I too have lost revenue through people photocopying my music. In fact, last year I was invited to conduct a local band rehearsal and sitting in the music pads was an 'unofficial' set of photocopies to my arrangement of Zulu! You can imagine the shock expressions when I asked them how they acquired it!
    Although on this occassion I didn't take the matter any further as I had actually played with the band for 10 years or more it did make me think how many other bands have done the same thing and robbed me of my livelihood.
    Let's be honest, although people aren't likely to admit it on here, but every band in the country will probably have an 'illegal' set of photocopies in their band library - Allegedly!

15. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

I can safely say that we have quite a few of those, mucht o my disgust. Also the librarian makes us keep the photocopied rehearsal parts in the sets. As far as I know the law, iof we are going to break it, you'd think we'd dispose of the evidence!!!

And as for the waiting for the photocopier......the band has one in the hall. We photocopy newsletters, maps, music correspondance, legal documents......
  16. Roger Thorne

Shame on you Okie!! :shock:

Let me remind you of a section of the tMP Copyright Factsheet!

This advice has been around for years, available from any Copyright web site, but bands are not doing it and continue to use the photocopier as a tool for theft!

This is why the Government is acting now. Bands have only got themselves to blame.

17. fartycat

fartycat Member

If this IS all true (and there's no mention on any of the new legislation services that I subscribe to) then how's it gonna work in practice?

Are the "PhotoCopyWatch" hit squad going to be given more powers than the police and be allowed to raid unsuspecting offices and bandrooms without a warrant?

Or will they have to apply to the already overworked courts to get permission to kick down a locked library door? :lol:
  18. one_careful_owner

one_careful_owner New Member

What about the piece you paid a fortune for and the first time you played it your <insert random player here> loses their part? Do you have to go and buy a new set or can you just use a copy obtained from another band?

Our library is the amalgamation of three different libraries so (with the old music at least) we have three sets of everything anyway but it's something that often happens.

( We also inherited a large black box full of decidely non-politcally correct music with some fantastic titles!

So far they've resisted my attempts to stick them on the stands... :( )
  19. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

You're trying to tell me this is true? Storm troopers smashing down doors to schools, band rooms, etc. and burning illicit photocopies? I remember photocopying pages from one of my team brass books when I was 11! So really at 11 I committed my first offence... well it may explain the downward slide of my teens, but still, don't the government have more important things for this hit squad to do???
  20. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

No, just give the publisher a call. Most are happy to supply replacement parts at cost. At Dragon Music it is policy to supply them FOC, providing you don't lose too many!

If you've lost the <random player> pad, with all the bass trombone parts in it, a shop like Banks in York will do the dirty work for you and secure as many replacement parts as possible.