Photo: Weird what you can get from the strangest locations eh!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TheMusicMan, Nov 9, 2007.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Was out with Heather a week or so ago for an evening walk along the river, close to the Transporter Bridge here in Newport as Heather wanted to go out and take some photos (she's recently developed an interest in photography like her Dad!). I took this one and wasn't expecting it to turn out like this...

[​IMG]

2. andyp

andyp Active Member

Very nice indeed, night photography can give some really good results. Modern cameras seem to be better at it than old ones, or is it just me?

3. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Wow! lovely colours!

And that water's like a mill pond!

4. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

Well done , John!! You've actually made Newport (even the docks area - is that Rowecord in the background? That's where my dad works) look quite nice!! You ought to send it in to the City Council. It could even make the Argus!!

Seriously though, I really liked the photo.:clap:

5. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

Night picture give THE best results in Newport! :lol:

Seriously though, cracking photo John. I love it when I'm going through the holiday snaps and one comes out loads better than I expected.

6. TheMusicMan

Thanks Andy.

Not sure it's modern cameras Andy, 35mm SLR's could do this type of shot just as well. I guess it's down to the fact that you are able to see the results of the images far quicker with digital cameras than with 35mm film cameras.

Thanks Crawf... the 'mill pond' effect is caused by the very slow shutter speed. The Usk is the river here, and those who know Newport and the River Severn will be aware that this is one of the highest rising tides on the planet and actually flows very quickly. If I remember correctly though, we were close to the point of changing tide at this time... from in to out. Having said that, the mill pond is due to long exposure. Ta for the comments...

Thanks Tim... no it's not quite Rowecord, but taken from a vantage point looking in the other direction from the transporter Bridge. I simply turned around after taking a few of the bridge and shot this one. I'll post one of the Transporter Bridge in a mo.

Thanks for your comments...

Thanks Piers - I agree, night shots are superb and give a totally different view of things than the same shot taken in daylight.

7. TheMusicMan

Additional photographs from Newport at night added in new thread here.

8. andyp

andyp Active Member

True, but I do find I can hand-hold (carefully) my digital Pentax Optio down to 1/4 sec shutter, whereas with the old 35mm SLR anything below 1/30 was usually duff.

I got some great effects on Bonfire Night too, the "night scene mode" really works well. Sets itself to 2 sec, cos it's pitch black, point at sky and hold still!

No tripod for this, looks a bit like a weird underwater plant!

Attached Files: