Photo: 'Moving Water' shot

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TheMusicMan, Jan 8, 2008.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hi All

Wasn't feeling too good today - think I ate something not nice in Dusseldorf airport yesterday evening that left me feeling Nauseous when I arrived home and again during the night, and was feeling sick today; so I decided that a little bit of good old fashioned fresh country air might just be the right tonic.

So, went out for a short walk to a location a few miles outside Newport, close to the village of Llanvair Discoed, called... The Cwm. It's only a very narrow road that leads about a mile to a dead-end, where there's a lovely farmhouse and walk trail. This farmhouse is of course private property, but I know they permit walkers to ramble as long as respect is paid.

I have been wanting to visit there for some time now, the last time was nearly 9 years ago - but hadn't had a chance over since getting my E-3, so took the opportunity to pop up there today with Jen and the dogs for a short, quiet 1 hour stroll. Got my feet wet a little but enjoyed the experience!! Here's my first ever shots of 'Moving Water', lots of lessons learned: could have done with longer exposures on a few of them, could have done with wearing wellies instead of my walking/hiking boots, and WOW... what a mistake I made when I started taking shots - I had left the camera on ISO3200 and couldn't for the life of me figure out why I wasn't able to 'up' the shutter speed in S mode on my E-3 without totally blown images appearing!!! d'oh!!

Showing my inexperience eh :)

Made excellent use of the Live View feature though... for some of the shots, the tripod was in 8" of water, with the E-3 just 6" above the surface. Got a few drops on the lens on a few shots (that I haven't uploaded...:) )

So, here's two shots from the walk, the remainder are on my online gallery - link at bottom of post for those interested. As ever, c&c most welcome.

Pick of the rest found here...

My blog page
  2. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Very nice; I just have to get out and try that myself. I like the first image best. Is it absolutely necessary to be off work and feeling unwell to do this? ;)
  3. TheMusicMan

Haha... thanks John :)

Not absolutely necessary, but today was one of those days where I felt quite sick and thought 'what the heck, I have given up my weekend and should do something for myself for a change' - hence decided to go out for a fresh air stroll and took these shots.

I quite like the first one too, though as this was my first attempt at fast(ish) flowing water, there's a few lessons learned. I should have had a longer exposure time for one... there's not enough smoothness on the water for my liking - but I'll know better for next time.
  4. needmorevodka

needmorevodka Member

I really like those John, I think I also prefer the first one too. This is the type of shot I'd like to try myself. I'll need to find a decent stretch of water though, as I live by a canal which doesn't move at all lol!

I'll take on board your "lessons learned" regarding exposure and wellies and everything, and give it a go on my Canon. You've inspired me now :clap:
  5. TheMusicMan

Go go go becks... glad I might have inspired you to have a go. I'd imagine any stretch of moving water, a stream, brook, or even a trickle of running water across some small boulders/rocks - can yield good results.

The slower the water is flowing, the longer exposure that is required - even up to about 9 seconds or greater.

Just FYI - that first shot EXIF info is

Shutter Speed: 6 seconds
    Aperture: f22
    ISO: 100
    Focal Length: 11mm
    No flash
    Mode: Shutter Priority
    Metering: Center weighted average

Re the wellies - I actually did stand in the water for a few of the shots, but with my hiking bots on I could only go in a few inches. The camera was on a sturdy tripod sometimes in 8-10" of flowing water (hence the sturdy tripod!!). Had I worn wellies, I could have crossed to the other side and obtained a better vantage point, as well as taking a shot from the center of the stream.

Next trip to the Cwm (possibly this weekend) will include wellies that's for sure... :)

Don't forget to post your shots once you've taken them yeah :)
  6. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

That method works well with waterfalls and other water features to

I have tried to upload a picture I took in Chrischurch NZ during a tour we did in 2005, Shows a water feature near one of our concert venues.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  7. andyp

andyp Active Member

Very nice - you could also try combining this with one of your previous ones, do water shots at night, some great effects to be had.
  8. Duck of demolition

Duck of demolition New Member

i like shots like that, i've taken a couple in my time. They almost look like they've been "computerised", but i'm 100% sure they haven't
  9. TheMusicMan

Nope - nothing computerised about the actual content of the image. I did add a border and adjust the levels slightly, but that's it. Then reduced dimensions for display on web.
  10. One of the more unusual threads for tmp but interesting none the least
    Have made a note of the camera settings and will probably try it out on the taps in bathroom tonight before going for a walk on the weekend!
  11. TheMusicMan

Takes all sorts I suppose... :):clap: