Phones - not mobiles - house phones

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by scotchgirl, Nov 26, 2008.

1. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

Our second set of hands free phones are now broken....we've had two sets this year - both BT branded and both a pile of cack. They're supposed to be hands free, but now our's don't work unless they are on the base, and you can't actually make a phone call with them because when you lift them off the base, they switch off.

I could take them back to the shop, but to be honest I want recommendations on some other ones first. I don't want to get BT branded ones again.

So - anyone got decent housephones? Preferably handsfree, with two handsets?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    BT
    BT branded
    mobiles - house phones
    set of hands free phones
    handsfree
  3. Di

Di Active Member

Have you tried changing the rechargeable batteries?

4. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

Yeah - we even got specific ones (don't ask me, I'm a girl) from the BT shop. It has made no difference....and its the second set its happened to.

I think we've probably been unlucky, but still, I'd like some other brand recommendations so that I can say that we've at least tried another brand to see if they're better.

5. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

I replaced my BT digital phone because of the terrible reception. I've now got a Panasonic KX-TG8090E, with two handsets. Reception is much better - the clarity is even better using the speakerphone. Google it and you'll find it's available online for just over £40.

BUT, for lengthy calls I still use a corded phone - so much clearer and more comfortable, if you don't need to walk about while you're talking and have an extra phone socket handy. AND it still works if there's a power cut.

6. Di

Di Active Member

We've had a Binatone pair in the past, but they sounded very muffled to the person being called. Currently have a set of Panasonic. Not too bad, sometimes sounds muffled, but I think it depends which handset is being used.

7. hicks

hicks Member

We have a Binatone model. Wouldn't recommend it though as the handset has an insubstantial keypad, and some of the buttons have become difficult to press.

8. horn1

horn1 Member

I'm on my 2nd set of BT cordless phones and they're much better than the first. Before that I had Binatone which were rubbish. My mum and dad have panasonic which are great.

9. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

I have Tesco's value/smart price version (ie the cheapest ones going) and I in the year I've had them not one bit of bother

10. on_castors

on_castors Member

Panasonic are the only brand of DECT phones worth buying.

I have had Siemens, BT, and cheap ones too, I know of Philips ones which are also terrible. Although the newer Panasonics seem a little bit feeble and plasticky, at least they work!

11. Di

Di Active Member

Bizarre. Since writing the above post saying our Panasonic phones are ok, I had one go flat on me when I tried to use. I put it on the charger and used another one. Tried to use the same phone again three days later, battery showing full, but when I dialled it went flat. :(

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    BT
    BT branded
    mobiles - house phones
    set of hands free phones
    handsfree
  13. on_castors

on_castors Member

Usually just the rechargeable batteries gone kaput! (Can apply to ANY brand, I wish they would move on to having Li-ion or Li Polymer batteries!) Often only ONE has become defective, but it drains the others in the set.

Had it been left uncharged for a while?

Easy & cheap enough to replace - most are just AAA NiMH rechargeables, (older models use NiCad types, which are going to be old now anyway - check first so you replace with the right type!) available at places like Maplins or cheaper on eBay or perhaps somewhere like www.7dayshop.com

The easy way of checking if it is batteries is to swap the ones from one handset that does work, and see if the "broken" handset now works and charges OK.

The Panasonic web site http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_GB/220239/index.html#anker_220239 has the manuals for download if you have the model number - it may well be near the charging contacts or under the battery flap or on the base station.

14. Lyndon Price

Lyndon Price Member

all cack....plug it in

15. Di

Di Active Member

As this has happened with one of the other handsets, this is what I suspected, and the reason I posted the question above.

Was about to do this, tried using the phone first and it works fine. Duh. Bloomin thing.

16. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Sometimes, if you've had the phone a few months, it is worth going over all the contacts with an india rubber or a very fine emery board. Oxidisation can prevent the charger from successfully charging the handset and you should also occasionally allow the batteries to discharge completely - even lithium ion or NiMH batteries benefit from this treatment once a year or so. This is especially true if you didn't allow a full charging cycle before you used the phone for the first time.

17. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

I've got a £5 phone from Tescos and it is rubbish, but you get what you pay for!

I very rarely use the landline, I only really have it for the internet, as I get loads of minutes with my mobile contract.

18. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

Me and hubby have decided to go for non-hands-free ones lol! The hands-free ones just seem to be pants generally lol!

19. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Yes where pants are concerned I do like to keep my hands free

20. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

lol! I don't know about that lol! (I may disagree)