Phobile moans

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Dave Payn, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Now I should kick off by stating that I'm not anti mobile phones, nor is this a rant against the noises they make. I'm just puzzled. As I was stuck on a train waiting for last Wednesday's snow to do its worst to the points and signals on the railways (which it did in no time at all), I noticed a couple of curious things regarding the newer models of phone being displayed, in this case, a Sony Ericsson and a Nokia.

Whilst accepting that the advances in technology mean that things end up eventually more compact than their predecessors, I couldn't help thinking that the buttons on these particular phones in question we're ridiculously small and so close together, and I wondered how their owners could possibly NOT make regular errors in dialling/texting, or am I just being an old fashioned old fogey (again....)?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Phobile
    particular phones
    couple of curious things
    question
    anti mobile phones
  3. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

there are some pretty titchy phones out there but of course they have all been ergonomically tested and so are marketable.

4. jameshowell

jameshowell Active Member

I know what you mean, Though I think the mobile phones you are on about are the "cool" gimmicky phones aimed at youngsters, whose hands are small enough not to have trouble operating them with small buttons!

5. Dawnys_flug

Dawnys_flug Member

If you have thumbs like mine, any phone made post 1985 is difficult to use!!!!! :( :x

6. akwarose

akwarose Active Member

i have the panasonic G50, which is a whole big 9 cm tall (incl arial)
    i dont find it hard to use, altho i have had a lot of ppl askin me whether its real. its the smallest one on the market that aint a flip fone. Its really cute........ :D:D:D

7. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

I havea dinky l'il LG model DM510. It's a whopping big 8cm. But once you get used to it, you can train yourself to adjust to the new keys, just like you can learn to touchtype on a keyboard. Not that I touchtype. I cheat and use 2 fingers.....sometimes 3 and a thumb.

I hate some phones that have really stiff buttons. they're a bugger (OK, make that Burger then!) to use!!!

What's wrong with that word?!?!?! It's part of my national culture! We have national ad campaigns using that word!! oh well................[/b]

8. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Keep this on topic please! :shock:

9. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Surely not Dave, but is there anyone out there who preferred using the 2 empty coke cans and 200 yards of string that preceded these phobile moans?? :oops:

10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I always liked those little flags, but the problem is finding a suitable hilltop to stand on in the middle of town :oops: :wink: :lol:

11. jameshowell

Mobile phones are great, and I couldn't live without mine, but sometimes don't you wish they didn't exist and you were unavailable?

That extra job from the boss, your mother in law wanting a lift, forgetting to turn it off for the areas...

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Phobile
    particular phones
    couple of curious things
    question
    anti mobile phones
  13. amgray

amgray Member

My In-Laws bought me a T-Shirt back from NZ with that word on!! Same ad campaigns. It gets some strange looks here in Norfolk though :shock: Then again it could be the huge Beer Belly it contains.

BTW, those ads have been featured on UK telly, one of those "lets-look-patronisingly-at-the-adverts-in-the-rest-of-the-world" programmes.

14. Jo Elson

Jo Elson Member

I find it funny how people know the height of their phones, i haven't got a clue how tall mine is. Have you actually measured them?

15. jameshowell

Normally tells you in the manual

16. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Mine must be quite tall 'cos it reaches my ear :oops: :wink: :lol:

17. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

hmm had this problem writing my number into someone's phone yesterday... it was all ridiculously small. I like my big chunky phone, much better!

18. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

there was a phone in thing on the local radio the other dya about people who sms-ed to thr wrong nu,mbers and stuff....one girl tried to whinge to her best firend about her bf, but sent it to the bf by mistake and so forth....

Obviously some ppl do still have trubble!

19. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

I have a Sony Ericsson T610 which is fairly compact but big enough to accommodate my two thumb texting technique. Thing that bugs me is when I know what I want to say but forget to ensure that the predictive text chose the right word. My girlfriend's pretty good at replacing dodgy words with the correct ones now though - she's received a few hundred texts over the past few months to practice with :)

20. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Yes, but texting was a bit of a swine. All you could do was write your message (now spelt 'msg') on a bit of paper, Sellotape it to the coke tin and try and chuck it 200 yards to your intended recipient. If he or she didn't have any paper, pen or Sellotape, they'd have to drop their coke tin, run to the nearest newsagents and get the necessary tools, run back, write THEIR message, stick it on the coke tin and lob it back to the original messenger. It was tough but it taught you some values, like.

;-)

21. bruceg

bruceg Active Member

Since text messages are carried as signalling (or as proper packet data if the operators ever get their GPRS setup sorted out) what you need is a second piece of string tied in a loop between the coke cans. You then attach the message (msg) to the looped string and pull it through until the message is at the other coke can. A reply can be sent in similar fashion or scribbled on the back of the received message (include original text option).

What am I typing here??? Time for a cuppa...

22. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

[quote="bruceg
    Since text messages are carried as signalling (or as proper packet data if the operators ever get their GPRS setup sorted out) what you need is a second piece of string tied in a loop between the coke cans. You then attach the message (msg) to the looped string and pull it through until the message is at the other coke can. A reply can be sent in similar fashion or scribbled on the back of the received message (include original text option).

What am I typing here??? Time for a cuppa...[/quote]

Ah yes Bruce, but those models were considerably more expensive and didn't really take off as a concept as the string would often fray through repeated pulling.

By the way, with all these fantastic gizmos that can play games, record your own ringtones (break wind, now that would REALLY be a 'ring' tone!), download music, take pictures, send pictures etc. etc. does anyone still use their mobile to make phone calls? ;-)