Philip Sparke's Trumpet/Cornet Concerto

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Andy_Euph, May 21, 2004.

1. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

As a euphonium player I would rather pull out my teeth with rusty plyers than normally listen to a cornet solo. However Philip Sparke's Cornet Concerto is an exception... its fantastic, what a gorgeous middle movement, I could listen to it over and over again.

Fantastic music, just a shame its not on euphonium :wink: , mind you your euphonium concerto is also top notch. :D

What do you think?

2. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

Have just got a recording of this, and am working it up... Thanks for the Cb-ish modulation there Philip...

Agree - Brill stuff..

3. FastFinguredFreddy

FastFinguredFreddy New Member

i take it you are refering to the one that Roger Webster recorded on Twighlight Dreams. If so then your right it is an absolutley fantastic piece of music, i really like the feel of the whole piece and the 3rd movement is ace.

Does anyone know if there is a version available to buy with the solo part with a piano accompaniment?

4. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Knight Templar will be a doddle then after this!

:wink:

5. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

Freddy - yes there's a piano/cornet reduction available - don't have music to hand, but will look up publisher for you on Monday
    Roger - no comment

6. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

7. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

and the Piano reduction is a good piece of work from the accompanist's perspective - by no means always guaranteed. To pick a piece, Denis Wright's Cornet Concerto is the perfect 'how not to do it' example...

Does Mr Sparke play the Piano?

8. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

Yes. Very slowly!

Piano accompaniments for pieces like this are a nightmare. You want to keep as much of the band material in there, but have to leave about 70% of it out to make it pianistic. It's rather like cutting off parts of your body!

9. The Cornet King

The Cornet King Active Member

Have to agree with the above comments. I think the piece is a cracker. Been in my practice pad for ages, only seriously started to look at it though the past few weeks.

Its all fab! Never had the honour of hearing it played though :cry:
    Anyone recommend a recording and where i can get hold of it please?

10. fitzy

fitzy Active Member

Is there any chance of Mr Sparke writting something simalarily substantial for soprano?

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Cornet Concerto
    Philip Sparke
    euphonium concerto
    cornet solo
    euphonium player
  12. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Philip,

At least you understand this concept, so the end result will be workable, if not totally desirable from your composer's point of view.

Too many arrangers don't, and then finding an accompanist who has enough nous to leave out that which is unplayable or superfluous is a nightmare.

We're lucky at Fulham - we have a such a pianist who plays horn for us.

13. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member