Philip McCann & Hathern Band

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by Di, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Di

Di Active Member

Hathern Band was delighted to welcome guest cornet soloist Phillip McCann at their recent concert held at The Cope Auditorium, Loughborough. This concert has been an annual event since 1985 when Mr McCann officially opened Hathern's original Bandroom, which had been built by Band Members, and is certainly one of the highlights of the Band's calendar.

Hathern Band and Musical Director, David Newman, were in good form as they opened the proceedings with a traditional march, Voice of the Guns, which was followed in complete contrast by the overture from The Magic Flute by Mozart in recognition of the 250th anniversary of his birth. The trombone section was well represented with a solo on bass trombone by Michael Sturgess of I Only Have Eyes for You and solo trombone player Jonathan Barker was featured in the number Just a Closer Walk, which has its roots in New Orleans.

However, the highlight of the evening was the superb playing of cornet soloist Phillip McCann, which was hugely appreciated by the packed audience. Each performance was a delight and players and audience alike were held spell bound by Mr McCann's stunning playing of six wonderful numbers, including Il Bacio, Because, I'll Take You Home Again Kathleen, and Grand Russian Fantasia. He also joined Hathern in the numbers You Raise Me Up, a compilation of well known hymns entitled Hymns of Praise and an arrangement of Superman by local arranger/composer, Jack Peberdy.

The Hathern Band Organisation comprises two other Bands apart from the Senior Band and the B Band under the baton of Michael Cooper performed three numbers, Bandology, Spiritual Moments and a very lively arrangement of Do-Re-Mi from the well known musical, The Sound of Music.

Hathern Band was very pleased that Miss Betty Anderson had once again agreed to compere the concert and her humorous and informative introductions added to the evening's entertainment.

Mr McCann expressed his pleasure at being involved with the concert and thanked the Hathern Band for their invitation. He also commented that it was a wonderful achievement to have over 30 players in each of the B Band and Training Band and congratulated the members for their work in developing young players. Hathern Band actively works in the community to offer tuition and loan of instruments to youngsters in the area wishing to learn to play brass or percussion instruments and further details can be obtained from the Secretary.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Phillip McCann
    Bandroom
    Voice of the Guns
    The Cope Auditorium
    I Only Have Eyes for You