Philip Cobb

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Mwelling, Sep 29, 2007.

1. Mwelling

Mwelling New Member

Has anyone heard the new solo cd Philip Cobb did with the Cory Band?
  2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I'm preparing a review on it at the moment - it's first class, as was his playing at Enfield tonight.
  3. Chris Thomas

Chris Thomas Member

I haven't heard the CD, but I was there for the recording. What a player!!! It's going to be brilliant.

4. Mount Media

Mount Media New Member

Hi guys,

wonder if you could check something for me. I've been listening to this CD on my ipod all week and it is phenomenal - a real class act.
    On the Life Abundant track about 7:40 - 7:55 - I can hear a mobile phone going off(you know when you put one beside a speaker and it goes off). At first I thought it was my phone but i've listened to it 20 or so times and its definetely there. Could someone else confirm this or is it just the way i've copied it to my ipod. Haven't had a chance to listen to CD again with headphones on to check but will do next week sometime as I'm away at the moment.

Mount Media Group
  5. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

Adam you are such an ANORAK!!!!
  6. Frugel

Frugel New Member

I'm afraid you now qualify as a train spotter, but yes, there is cellphone interference at that time during the track. Shame really.:oops:
  7. jenniepops

jenniepops New Member

Yes, It's quite good. I'd recommend you listen to it!!

8. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

Good grief, how did a cellphone get onto a CD recording? was it recorded live with an audience? or in a studio? If with an audience, then sometimes this sort of interference has to be lived with. But if it was done in a studio then someone needs hanging.
  9. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

It would be doubtful if the interferance was picked up from an audience unless they were sat right on him, but I agree, if that's been picked up from the recording studio staff then someone needs shooting! :-?
  10. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

I think that punishment would be a trifle extreme!!

Producing a CD can offer all sorts of problems, many of which can be blamed on the players (don't ask about the sparrow Thomas Wyss had to shoot!). There are so many things to think about at the same time; it's very easy to miss a ringing phone if you are lsitening to horn balance, for example.

If the phone is very evident, then that's a shame, but hanging would be too much!

I've been there!!!!
  11. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

So have I, and you're quite right things can be easy to miss....

Some things (like sparrows ;) ) can be beyond your control (although venue selection is important here - no single paned windows for example) phones though are a risk that can be eliminated. Mind, I've sat in top section rehearsals where people are sat there texting :mad:

If it's a real problem, there's always Cedar Retouch or Algorhithmix ReNOVAtor.....but they're expensive and their use may be precluded by brass band budgets.
  12. Ryan06

Ryan06 Member

I have the recording and its a great one! there's a cellphone going off in the Life abundant song? that means the next time I listen to that song Im going to be watching out for that cellphone (I havent heard it yet while I was listening to it) its a phenominal cd, everyone should get it.
  13. Michelle Ibbotson

Michelle Ibbotson New Member

Just like Chris Thomas I too was lucky enough to accompany Phillip. It was a fantastic recording session, he is a superb player and a thoroughly nice young man. I do have a copy of the CD it is exceptional.