Phantom

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Chris Sanders, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Does antone know if there is a GOOD band arrangement of themes from the Phantom of the Opera.

The only arrangements I can find from it are cheesy band club/park job cheery tunes...

I am looking for an epic arrangement that grabs the audience by the balls, in the way the original does?

Any help will be greatly appreciated...

2. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

I have played an arrangement ( on Manuscript ) 2 years ago with Beaumaris , it was full band , keyboard ( Organ ) and percussion I am sure we had a couple of singers in the arrangemet , it featured and the overture and a couple of songs
    Went down really well with the audience during one of the summer concerts ( theme was music from the shows), don't think it is available for hire / use ( was for a one off performance)

3. Chris Sanders

Cheers anyway, I may have to arrange it myself...

You have given me an idea there, with the organ, it would be fantastic with band, choir and organ in Huddersfield town hall. I'll start on with that project in the coming weeks.

4. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

:eek: :eek:

I absolutely despise Lloyd Webbers stuff its just ****e!

5. Chris Sanders

You've never seen the Phantom have you Andy...

6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

The only arrangement of "Phantom" for brass, as opposed to wind, in my collection is on Robert Venables' solo cd "Exultation". I'll check tonight to see if the arranger is listed, but I suspect it was a one-off, designed to feature him as trumpet soloist.

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I'll help here ... William Gordon did the arrangement.

8. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

You're right. It was done at the request of Hamilton Temple Band for a concert at Hamilton Place featuring Robert Venables. I was in the band at the time and have a tape of the concert. At the time Bob was the principle trumpet in the Toronto production of Phantom and he wrote to Andrew Lloyd Webber and obtained permission for Bill Gordon to do the arrangement, specifically for that concert. The version on Bob's solo CD does not include the entire arrangement. Peter was correct, it was arranged as a trumpet solo with band accompaniment.

9. Aaron

Aaron Member

I dont know of an arrangement specifically of phantom, but a cracking arrangement, which when played well would, as you say 'grab the audience by the balls' is Aspects of Lloyd Webber. Can't remember who arranged it, but it is quite an epic with a fab euph part, & goes through many of webbers works. If you cant find phantom, it would be a worthy replacement

Hope this helps

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I have a recording of BNFL playing Keith Wilkinson's arrangement of the Overture to the Phantom Of The Opera (... but still to listen to it :rolleyes: ).

... listened to all of it's 2:09 length (... there has to be a first time ... oh, I have noticed a Denis Wright arrangement of 'West Side Story' on it ... may as well!)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    band arrangement
    antone
    themes
    tunes
    Phantom of the Opera
  12. dyl

dyl Active Member

That'd be Peter Graham then!

13. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

There is a very good arrangement by William Himes of "Music of the Night" published by Lloyd Webber's "Really Useful Group".

14. Chris Sanders

Cheers, i'll have a look for that...

I have looked at the peter graham one, it is very good, but I was after themes specifically from Phantom of the Opera. Cheers Anyway.

15. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

I aint seen it but if its the one that starts:

NAAAAAAAA NA NA NA NA NAAAAAAAAA NA NA NA NA NAAAAAAAAAAAAA NA NA NA NA NAAAAAAAAAAAAA

then i've played plenty of crappy wind band versions of it!

16. Chris Sanders

Jesus Andy, Whether you buy, beg, borrow or steal, you have to see it, get the dvd...

Its worth it, you will enjoy it... Trust Me!!

You never know, you might become cultured??

17. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

MORE cultured....jeez being a geordie who lives in manchester I would think i'm the king of culture :biggrin: