Phantom of the Opera

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Seedhouse, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Just seen the new Phantom of the Opera movie, and really enjoyed it as i'm a big fan of musicals. So much passion behind the music, and a really well constructed film. Although i've seen loads of bad reviews I thought it was fantastic!
    Anyone else seen it, and what did you think?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    fan
    Phantom of the Opera
    movie
    musicals
    music
  3. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

i havent seen it yet, but really want to.
    I'm listening to the soundtrack album now, and if thats anything to go buy the film should be pretty good!

4. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

I want to see it! I want to see it!

point made! :D

5. Dawnys_flug

Dawnys_flug Member

I'm going to see it next wednesday!!
    Don't any of you spoil it for me!
    Altho i've already seen the musical so i'm guessing it's pretty similar storyline! :rolleyes: d'oh!
    But yeah, can't wait!!!! :-D

6. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

I don't think it's worth it myself. Much better on stage.

7. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Have you seen it Chris?

8. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

Yes

9. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

thats why i not going watching it. It'll just wreck it.

10. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

How can seeing the movie ruin the stage version?

11. super_sop

good question dude, i cant see it ruining the stage version at all. it certainly didint for shows like west side story and jesus christ superstar, and thats just two off the top of my head.
    if anything, i would have thought it would make folks look into the theatre a little more.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    fan
    Phantom of the Opera
    movie
    musicals
    music
  13. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

How many people went to the theatre for the live show after seeing Brassed Off on the big screen? Or vica versa.

14. super_sop

i dont think this is a very good example of a "musical" but i would imagine quite a few as it still seems to be doing the rounds around the country!

lets put it anotherway, would the likes of les miserable still be doing the rounds if it was not still popular? there are several different film versions of thisout on DVD although not films of the musical. there is also the 20th aniversary dvd out that was taken from the aniversary of the musical show. it sure doesnt seem to have stoped that doing the rounds!
    i can also point you in the direction of disneys chity chity bang bang on in the west end at the mo, as well as the opening of mary popins!!!! now this has to be one of the mosty televised musicals out there! as well as the many dvds that have been sold. i for one am hoping to get to see it. its one of abigails most watched dvds, and i know she would love to see it at the theatre

15. Fridge

Fridge Member

Well,
    I,ve been to see phantom on the west end abut seven times now, and it is one of the best msuicals ever put on stage. And i have to say having seen the film that it has transfered fairly well, the orchestrations are very very true to the original. The general cast singing is amazing and in fairness to the leads they nade a very good job ( apart from minie driver who has been dubbed!!) Gerrad Butler must also be applauded as he says he could not sing before doing the role of the phantom.

Although It will never be as good as the original stage version, and the singing is never going to be as good as the pro's, it's still a great film to watch and hopefully it will encourage more people to see it and other musicals in the west end!!

Fridge

( complete phantom of the opera nut!!! )

16. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

cause it just will.

Disney on Ice is never as good as the original cartoon movie.
    Chicago the musical is 100 times better than the film, it's real and it's live and it's there. nothing can beat a live performance.

17. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

Hmm....maybe that's because the movie and stage versions are so vastly different. For me, the movie is nowhere near as good as the stage version!

Dave

18. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Hmm... doesn't seem like a similar comparison though!!! Disney on Ice is people dressed up as Disney characters (?) whilst the cartoon is a cartoon! :-? Things like Phantom stage to Phantom film are both actors etc.

The only musicals that I have seen on stage are Grease, Joseph and his TD, Fame and Les Mis.
    The Phantom of the Opera was always one that I would have liked to have seen, but have never done so. When I saw the advert for the movie, I knew that I would jump at the earliest opportunity to go and see it. Now having done so, I have already jumped on my parents to take me down to see it on stage for my 18th Bday (how could they refuse! ;) )

Having seen the movie I've also rented out the original soundtrack from the Library, and it's been in my CD player non-stop! I think that the music is absolutely fantastic! :D I'm getting the film soundtrack for Xmas :)

I think most of it is the same. Andrew LW actually expanded the orchestra for the film soundtrack (which is something he's always wanted to do) to make a broader sound which really impressed me.

He really impressed me with his singing, especially when someone told me that he didn't even start singing lessons until he got offered/ heard about the role for Phantom.
    I also think Emmy Rossum did a really good job considering she is only 17 and her voice has not yet matured, although Sarah Brightman will always be my fave (having heard to the original soundtrack now!)

I never thought the film would be as good as the stage version, but it has wet my appetite to go out and see the stage version...! :p

19. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

The Fridge Knows all!!