Petrol prices mean giving up band ?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by iancwilx, Feb 17, 2011.

1. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Is anybody finding the cost of travelling to band a real financial burden due to petrol costs ?
    It doesn't affect me because I've retired from playing, but it would cost me a tenner a reheasal at current prices.

- Mr Wilx
  2. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

Travelling to Leeds and back from Huddersfield especially on the M62 rush means it is a long and tiresome journey to work and costly in fuel for me, hence why I wanted a band as local as possible when enquiring on tmp recently. Its only ten minute drive for me, so at the moment I wouldn't give up band for fuel costs.
  3. Colin.Doran

Colin.Doran Member

At the moment I live in Leyland work in Liverpool and the travel to Elland 2 a week min for band yes it is costly even just Leyland to band is 110 ish mile round trip, but I enjoy the band and have the mind set that any sort of hobby / Entertainment costs just have to look as making saving else where less beer on a weekend perhaps but at the mo it's costing money but nothing to make me worry too much. When contest come up I am lucky that I can take leave so my travel is reduced, but I know that not every one is that fortunate. I know speaking to a fellow bass player they have said that if the price of petrol reaches the 1.70 to 1.80 mark they would have to seriously think about if they could afford to carry on travelling to their current band.
  4. Ali

Ali Member

Im pretty much the same (as you know Col). Its a 140 mile round trip from North Staffs up to Leyland (taking between 1 3/4 - 2 hours depending on traffic). Even When I go back to Dobcross, Its 100 from leaving work to getting back to Dobx via band and that takes an hour and a half! On average its costing me £240 a month in juice. If it carries on, god knows what will happen, but I do know that if people cant afford to travel, then our beloved hobby may be in peril! Not many of us can afford to spend thay kind of cash and not feel the pinch!
  5. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

I've been thinking about this recently, after some requests to join have been made by a couple of decent bands. To go to either, I would be driving straight past at least 1 other band ranked in the top 10, and 3 or 4 in the top 50.

Trying to make banding carbon neutral is impossible, but what would it be like if we were made/cajolled into playing with the closest band of your own standard? If you're playing in the 4th section, for example, then move to your closest 4th section band. Right up the sections!

I'd love to see how it would pan out, even if not necessarily action it!
  6. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Colin, if petrol goes that high I'll have to seriously consider if I can keep my existing job!!

It's probably about a tenner a rehearsal for me as well (Albeit my car isn't the most economical around) and while I don't mind paying, it is getting to be a bind.

It's not just banding either. Fuel prices are sapping the whole voluntary sector as well. The scout association is losing leaders left and right because they can't afford the time or the money to keep it up. One of my mates has had to stop coaching Junior football because he can't get anyone else to help and can't cope (or legally supervise that many kids) on his own. Even my old pool team has withdrawn from the local league because they're all working stupid hours to make ends meet and they can't afford the extra petrol for away matches.

So many 'free' activities (like playing in a band) are becoming more difficult because it's so expensive to get to them in the first place. With wages stagnant or falling backward, unemployment rising and food/fuel inflation nudging 20%, it's not a great picture for UK PLC....

(Unless you're a prime-minister minister with an inherited personal fortune of £20m....)
  7. Has anyone thought that through higher fuel charges ,local bands might benefit as players who travel a long way to play with a "named band " might stop in their Area thus making that Area stronger.?
  8. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Some interesting points raised above and particularly the players making journeys of lets say in excess of 100miles per rehearsal to get to their "preferred" band.

Any one know any other "hobbies" were this would be a regular occurance? Pub football teams, snooker, pool, darts, hockey, bowls, Morris Dancing, local orchestra, golf club, swiming club, ice skating, gymnastics, athletics and running clubs?

I'm not considering travelling to competitions for any of those hobbies just where would you go to take part in those hobbies.

Do we have more people taking part in banding that are happyor paid to travel than many other hobbies?
  9. barrytone

barrytone Member

I don't play more than half an hour from where I live but now fuel costs more, obviously it costs more to get there. It's more of a problem when I need to do extra trips for additional rehearsals/sectionals/concerts and contests; then I struggle to afford to buy the fuel I need, usually it means that use fuel for band that I would have used visiting family/friends or taking the family for a day at the seaside. Definitely makes me think twice before I go anywhere.
  10. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

I play pub sports - darts. You all meet in the local then make travel arrangements when you are there. The darts league I used to play for used to have a raffle thing where locals paid 50p a chose a football team and which one was over the tab won the pot. Proceeds covered the food costs and some travel. It was something the darts, pool and crib teams bought in.

However there is a big difference between playing for a local darts team in pubs fairly local to one another and travelling 2 hours to band!!
  11. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Not so much for me but we have several players who travel a distance and I can see that for them especially the cost of fuel could become too much of a burden.

And I saw on the news this morning that the current unrest in arab countries is pushing the oil price higher.
  12. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Was approached not long ago by a much better band that is on the cusp of feasibility journey-wise. The cost of petrol was a factor in turning them down. However, unlike AndyCat, no bands in the top 10, and only this one and one other in the top 50 are within that same range in any direction.
  13. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

I am really enjoying playing at the moment (and have since i joined City of Cambridge nearly two years ago), but when I joined petrol was nearly 20p a liter cheaper. Now the 46 miles each way are costing me a whole lot more and with the squeeze on everything else, it is becoming a real issue for me. Especially with a the extra rehearsals planned for the area, and most of our jobs north of Cambridge. I even bought a diesel 6 months ago to help with costs, but the fuel rises have pretty much wiped out any savings now, especially with diesel being more expensive. The services I drive past to get to the band room are currently selling diesel at 137.9p a litre.... ouch!!!

At least with Essex Elvis switching back to baritone I don't have the cost of lugging the tuba up and down the motorway ;)

I ve had 6 bands ringing me up this year to do the area,I ve never known so many bands struggling for players in nearly 40 years of banding.I think part of this is the cost of fuel.Even top bands have trouble getting players.Yes I could have played with 3 championship section bands and others and can afford the fuel, but I am staying with a local 3 rd section band this year.Why should I battle traffic jams and use £50 petrol a week to get to play in a "championship " band ? Jo public could nt care less what band you play with.I wonder how many will carry on travelling miles to a band practice when petrol rationing starts ?
  15. Space Cowboy

Space Cowboy Member

I play in the same band as Colin and can vouch for his amazing dedication to the band. Not just traveling a v long way but being all-round Mr dedicated.

I travel a reasonable distance, 70 mile round trip, and yes the fuel cost is an issue but for me the bigger cost of going to band is babysitting as my wife works in London most weeks. £40 (4 hours) babysitting + petrol makes the run up to contests quite expensive, unless I can get the mother in law to help out - again!!
  16. jimothy

jimothy Member

Has anybody thought about learning how to drive more economically?
    The AA will tell you that most drivers can save between 10 and 15 percent on their fuel costs.
    I am a driver trainer and I can help you to save, in most cases, over 10% on your fuel costs.
    You know it makes sense.

I have a Mazda MX5 and when I boot it Iget 20 to the gallon,if you drive it economically it s not worth driving it...rather use a pushbike !:D The BBbass just fits in the passenger seat.I drive like a maniac to my present band.....good job it s only 4 miles away:D
  18. still learnin

still learnin Member

The trouble with that solution is being sensible is so boring and requires more willpower than I'll ever have. Most of us can drive more economically but some of us would doze off at the wheel on the way to band practice if we did!! ;)

I have noticed that more people are driving slower and a lot of cop cars don t bother chasing you anymore .;)
  20. Neillyboy

Neillyboy Member

Anyone for carshare??