Petrol "averaging" £1.00 a litre

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by BbBill, Nov 7, 2007.

1. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

In the news today unleaded petrol hit an average £1 a litre, here in Campbeltown its £1.05.9 for petrol and £1.10.9 for diesel, absolultely ****ing ridiculous. :mad:

Being at the end of the only main road to and from Glasgow (which is 133 miles, and same distance to the nearest motorway), our nearest petrol station is 32 miles away, and then roughly every 15/20 miles after (no cheap tescos petrol pumps till Glasgow neither...!!)

Question is why should people in the Highlands and Islands of Scotland have to pay about the dearest petrol in the country when we NEED our vehicles? With the rubbish state of the roads and verges, landslides and potholes as deep as the Grand canyon and minimal public transport, its really p***ing me off how we have to pay so much, with the government getting so much on fuel and road tax, but puts so little back onto the maintance of the roads in return!!

With the recent landslide halfway to Glasgow on the A83, (same place as 2/3 years ago!) the road is seemingly shut to Glasgow for approx 1 month, with diversion times through the back roads putting up to an hour extra onto the standard 3hr journey time, (thats an 8hr round trip to Glasgow!!!) Go on, have look at the AA road map for the journey from Campbeltown to Glasgow and you'll see how out in the sticks we are!! I feel sorry for our conductor who travels that distance for our practices!!

When YABB were over in America and Canada in the summer, our hosts were complaining at their petrol costs, I think they were roughly paying for a gallon for what we paid for a litre....

12yrs ago when I started driving it was 49p in Campbeltown for unleaded....

Anyway that's my rant for today :mad:

So what's the price of petrol and diesel nearest to you and what's your opinion on the great british fuel rip off ?

2. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

98.9 for unleaded in the Cradle of Hades.

As an officer of the Government I have to understand the policy drivers behind such decisions as high duty on fuel.

As a driver, and as someone who's pay "rise" is far below the RPI, never mind adding a mortgage factor, it sucks.

As to why higher in the Highlands and Islands, that is a question for the petrol companies (profit margins) and the Scottish Executive, depending on whether they have control over the level of duty.

The cost of petrol in the south west has been much higher than London for years - so ruralism and the lack of choice may be a factor.

3. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Yes, leaving aside the outrageous level of tax levied on fuel, it's basic market forces. The more remote you are, the more it costs to get the fuel to you. Also, small rural petrol stations don't tend to have the buying power of the supermarkets, and have smaller tanks under the forecourt which means they can't get the same level of discounts for bulk-buying. I guess Will is also correct - if it is the only petrol station for miles then there could be an element of exploiting a "captive audience" due to the lack of local competition - a bit like motorway service stations do!

4. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

tell me about it... measly 2.475%.....

5. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

Have you noticed though how when 2p is added in extra duty the price seems to rise by 3p or kick in when there is still 100,000 litres stored in the ground!? Petrol Retailers must love duty increases because they know people will still have to buy it and they can stick an extra couple of pence on themselves and everyone will blame the Government.

It's the same with Cigs - when I worked at a garage - just before a budget we completely stocked up on high value and whacked the price up as soon as the budget is announced (the duty had already been paid at that point).

6. thepirate

thepirate New Member

Hi Wullie Nice to see you can still manage a rant. We here in Canada [southern ontario] are still complaining when the price of gas goes up to close to a dollar a litre. Holy s**t, when I was back in Fife last year, you guys were paying in pounds what we in Canada were paying in dollars. Enough to make you buy a bike, well almost. Being a BBb bass player like yer'sell, and a few months away from sixty, a bike?, well maybe no. Apart from gas prices, hope everything else is just hunkydory.
    Keep laying down that bass line Wullie.

Steve...............WSB. Toronto.

Steve

7. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

I paid £1.04 per litre for diesel at Tesco yesterday. I've had my car just over nine years now and kept a log from the day I bought it (sad so and so:) ) ....first time I filled up my tank back in August 1998 I paid .67p a litre!:(
    Ahhhh! the halcyon days of Esso Golden for 4/10d ...less than 25p.....a gallon back in the early 60s:clap:

8. horn1

horn1 Member

I can vouch for how isolated Campbeltown is, I've been travelling to that area all my life as my grandparents live in Tarbert. Since I started driving 12 years ago the price of petrol has steadily increased to the point that I have to work out in advance where I'm going to fill up on the journey so that I don't bankrupt myself when I get there. I usually find tesco at gourock good when I'm getting the ferry, if not then dumbarton. I really don't know how people afford petrol when they live there. I try not to get my grandad to talk about it coz I never hear the end of it! :)

9. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

You should be careful about comparing the cost of petrol here to people in the States - they pay less duty than we do directly on the fuel, but far more in local taxes that feed road maintenance and improvements.

10. NeilW

NeilW Member

Also a US gallon is only 4/5 of an Imperial one (a US Pint is 16 Fl Oz, whereas an Imperial Pint is 20 - which means their beer measures are short too :D )

I do remember Canada is metric...

Something to be said for my little car telling me its doing 54mpg (petrol) at the moment....

Neil.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    WoodenFlugel
    rail route
    rail company leases trains
    subsidiary company
    leasing cost of trains
  12. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

... which is another one of the reasons I sold my car a few years ago and now travel everywhere by train.

Car fuel prices are a rip off, it is disgraceful the amount they charge.

13. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I have some sympathy for that point of view - I lived without a car for about 7 years. However, it just got too expensive and inconvenient to travel by train. I was paying over £3000 a year in order to stand wedged upright all the way to work! I enjoy travelling by train, and I do feel very guilty about my carbon footprint. However the fact is, running a car doesn't cost me £3000 a year and I can go anywhere I want, not just between home and work!

14. NeilW

NeilW Member

But by the time I've walked 4 miles (or cycled 7) to the nearest station, caught a train in the wrong direction (to London!) got on the underground to change stations, caught a (slow) train back towards the office then walked the 2 miles from the nearest station to the office it would be time to set off again for home again!

IF we go down the PAYG motoring road (pun!) I hope they figure out how to charge non-UK lorries on our roads. Currently they pay nothing. They don't pay any road tax and don't buy any fuel here (diesel is cheaper in France/Belgium/Spain etc as there's less duty on it). Most days I pass a line of European lorries on the M40 heading up towards the midlands...

15. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

£45-50 per week just in petrol to get to work and back :frown: (more if I actually use my car for anything else)

Despite there being a station less than 1/2 a mile away from where I live there is no direct route to Coventry (there used to be, but they stopped it about two years ago :rolleyes: ) so I'd have to go to Birmingham then back to Coventry.

My wife uses the train every day to get to work, and hardly a week goes by without some sort of delay. Whats worse though is the attitude of the operators - basically they couldn't give a toss if the train runs on time or not.

The other week I got a phone call mid-morning for a very angry missus who was at home after trying unsuccessfully to get into work that morning. Her normal train had been cancelled ("we've lost it" was the genuine excuse she got) and the one after had broken down. They wouldn't provide any alternative transport and if she caught a service bus (also unreliable) she'd have got in at around lunchtime. In the end she gave up and took the day off.

So the government can put as much duty as they want on petrol, but it will have very little effect - the alternatives to car usage are either too unreliable, or simply non-existent. Even "down here" in the densely populated midlands.

16. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

I filled up yesterday and it was £39.45 from empty to full. When I bought the car in March it was £32. Eek!! I didn't look to see how much it was per litre/ gallon whatever but it was at Tesco so it's not like it was a middle of nowhere rip-off station. I looked today and it was 103- I'm sure it was something like 96 last week....

17. andyp

andyp Active Member

And therein lies the problem no government will admit - there is NO viable substitute for the car. Taxing it more won't get rid of them - cos people need them. The bus companies aren't interested in you unless you live in a city - when they'll fight over you to the point of 5 different buses coming at once (as happens in Preston), and the trains have had nothing spent on them for 25 years so will take ages to be any good (and are only any good if you live near the line anyway).
    They love to con us with numbers too;
    The switch from gallons to litres, so every penny on a litre is really 4.5p on a gallon.
    Pricing at 99.9 - it's a pound, stop trying to make it look less.
    The oil companies blame the Government - "70% of the cost is tax" (or whatever it is). True - but in that case every 1p on the price of the petrol itself is a 3.3% increase , not the 1% increase they'll try and tell you it is.
    Then there's VAT - 17.5% of every oil company increase goes to the Treasury automatically, so the government blames the oil company for putting the price up while pocketing nearly a fifth of it!
    Oil prices are also driven up by greedy speculators betting on what the price will be in the future and so on. And then there's OPEC itself.....

18. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

If your that near us when you visit, you should come for a blow at band!!

Yeh, Dunbarton is handy for filling up, I noticed the other week the Esso station was 10p cheaper than the Esso station in Campbeltown!! :mad:

19. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

My car sits around the 19/20mpg, and usually does about 200 mile to a tank, so up and down to Glasgow it takes over a tank of fuel, costing around £80!! My record is only doing 156 miles with a full tank when the fuel light came on....!! :rolleyes:

But hey, its my only luxury, I dont need to travel to work staying on the farm, just need to go downstairs and put on me wellies and boilersuit!! I usually just use it going to band twice a week and to the pub on Saturday night, and with the 4.2 V8, 340bhp engine in it, it gets me to Glasgow alittle bit quicker and in more comfort than your average run of the mill car, just costs abit more!! :(

The government or the b***dy enviromentilists wont force me to get rid of my nice Audi S4 that easily by hiking prices up! :mad:

20. horn1

horn1 Member

I nearly did this summer! Maybe next time :)

21. Captain

Captain New Member

its a ***** disgrace the goverment do not care about the people in this country just squeeze as much tax out of everyone as they can.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2007
  22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    WoodenFlugel
    rail route
    rail company leases trains
    subsidiary company
    leasing cost of trains