Petition re. Bands and Child Performance Licences

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Jack E, Mar 8, 2019.

1. KenIrvin

KenIrvin Member

As I understand it, if a band or amateur performance group, has members under school leaving age then the venue host MUST have a licence/permit to allow such group to perform. It is the responsibility of the band to make sure that a license is in place otherwise the band is held liable. If the venue does not hold a licence, the band can obtain a permit (at a cost) but this is for each performance which can amount to a not insignificant cost overall.

2. 4th Cornet

4th Cornet Well-Known Member

What is the cost?

3. KenIrvin

KenIrvin Member

maybe I jumped in too soon. My initial searches brought up a site that acts for bands and so there is a cost. When I look on the local authority site there does not appear to be a cost and they (Derbyshire) only seem to be bothered if the child is absent from school and being paid.

4. 4th Cornet

4th Cornet Well-Known Member

It would be good to know
    This is often the trouble with these and similar petitions. Everyone places (sometimes mis-guided) trust in those lobbying ahead of them without questioning why. I reiterate, despite lots of noise and concern about the licencing policy, I'm yet to hear anything that means that it is costly nor time-consuming, therefore I'm not sure why the petition exists. If somewhere along the line the policy saves a child from exploitation, then the vagaries of whether it should apply to brass bands is inconsequential.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  5. GER

GER Active Member

Nobody could argue with that, I believe the reason the petition came into existence was the fact exemptions were granted, mainly to sport, and so the mindset of 'if they can be exempt, why can't we' came to the fore. I can understand that, but the aim of the bill is to keep children safe, but as is usual the bill has been legislated without proper thought and consultation or consideration to the consequences, sport realised it could potentially cause a bureaucratic nightmare, shouted about it and got the concession. Personally I have signed the petition, of course I want our younger members to be safe, but I also don't want our bands to start dropping their investment in youth through fear of falling foul of an unduly complicated piece of legislation. Signing, imho gives us the (slight) chance of getting the legislation discussed, and hopefully improved.
    Will that work? probably not, I think the petition is a 'gut reaction' as opposed to a carefully thought out strategy, but if I don't sign it's guaranteed nothing will change

2nd tenor and KenIrvin like this.
  6. davidf

davidf New Member

I had a chat to one of band board members last week who was also concerned about the new rules. For our areas contest it seems like they (organisers?) are applying for a body of persons license to cover all the children involved who have performed less than 4 days in the last 6 months. However once a child reaches 4 days in 6 months it would appear (in Oxfordshire where we live) that an 11 page form needs to be completed for every child for every performance. The form needs to be accompanied by photos and copies of birth certificates and submitted in advance.

Child performance and stage licences | Oxfordshire County Council
    https://www2.oxfordshire.gov.uk/cms...nandfamilies/youngpeople/applicationform.docx

In addition if parents are not present throughout the performance there is a requirement to have registered chaperones present throughout. The form to be registered is 14 pages long but luckily only needs to be completed once per chaperone. Apparently there was some question about whether a parent playing in the same band as the child was allowed to be considered "supervising" or whether a chaperone would be needed - not sure how much fact that was based on.

I've not seen any cost associated with any of these forms but its going to add a high level of administrative overhead, our band might need 12 such forms completed for every performance as I think most of the children in our band will hit 4 performances in 6 months pretty quickly in either our band or any other performances they are in (ours have already exceeded it by participating in the local panto).

Hopefully that adds a bit more information around the reasons for such a petition - I'm not sure that an exemption for just brass bands is appropriate, but overall it does seem like this whole process adds a lot of admin to brass banding and other performing activities.

LynneW likes this.
  7. Slider1

Slider1 Active Member

Obliviously concocted by the Brexit organizing committee:eek::eek::eek:

8. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Well-Known Member

To me that stance seems to be flawed in that if we protected children from all and any possible danger they would never leave their homes. As a parent we learn to accept and manage the risks that our children face and help them to grow through their experiences. The overwhelming odds are that they will have positive experiences but occasionally there will be times when bad things happen, however helping them through those times enables them to grow. Keeping children constantly safe and wrapped in cotton wool is really not a kindness to them, let them enjoy the good opportunities in life and watchfully take parental responsibility in the other times. To my mind the current interpretation of the law is using a sledge hammer to crack a walnut - it’s simply the wrong tool for the job and its use leaves you with a mess.

Edit. I just used the link (way above in this thread’s first post) to sign the petition. It was very easy to do and seemed to take literally just a (one) minute to do.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    LynneW and KenIrvin like this.
  9. Queeg2000

Queeg2000 Active Member

To put things into perspective, this is not a new piece of legislation but an old piece of previously unenforced legislation that has suddenly been given a lot of publicity.

Many local authorities were oblivious to the need for bands to have licenses and different local authorities have different departments dealing with them.

I know a representative from the local authority was at at least one of the area competitions recently and was more than happy with what they saw. They proceeded to ask a band when they were next on to be told they were finished and asked about the following day to be told no, they had finished.

The representative was amazed that they had even been sent to check on children being on stage for just ten minutes.

It looks like the authorities find this just as crazy as the bands and once the publicity dies out, it's a piece of legislation that will fade into the background once again.

MoominDave, LynneW and 2nd tenor like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice