Peter William Postlethwaite

Discussion in 'Obituaries - Unregistered visitors can post here' started by Keith Stanley James Lever, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Keith Stanley James Lever

Keith Stanley James Lever Supporting Member

Sincere condolences to Mr Postlethwaite's family.

Peter renown in the Brass Band World as the Conductor of "Grimley Colliery Band" in BRASSED OFF.

Passed away 2nd January 2011.

REST IN PEACE ~ PETE.

KSJ

2. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

You beat me to it!

Alright lads. Concerto d'Orange Joose.

RIP!

3. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Great actor. RIP

4. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

He impressed me as a remarkable actor even before "Brassed Off". And only 64 years of age. A sad loss.

5. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Always a shame when a great British actor passes away. I'd enjoyed his performances in plenty of other films as well as Brassed Off - in particular In The Name of the Father.

RIP Pete.

6. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

He was a great theatre actor as well. I saw him as Prospero in "The Tempest" at the Royal Exchange Theatre in Manchester a couple of years ago, an excellent performance that I remember still. Later in the same year he starred as King Lear at the Liverpool Everyman Theatre, which I would have loved to have seen.

7. Cochyn

Cochyn Member

I saw him perform at the Everyman Theatre in 2008....amazing presence! Such a sad day, lost a real profound actor :(

8. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Echo all of the above statements. I remember him as the odious baddie in Sharpe.
    He was also excellent with Thora Hird in a drama, but I can't for the life of me remember the name of it. If memory serves me correctly it was just those 2 people in it.

RIP

9. Murray_P

Murray_P New Member

Genuine Friend of Banding

The Trustees, Players and Friends of Grimethorpe Colliery Band have been greatly sadden by the death of their long term friend, the actor Pete Postlewaite. They remember fondly working with Pete on the landmark film Brassed Off some 15 years ago in Grimethorpe. He maintained an association with the Band across the years and appeared at the Concert to celebrate Dave Barraclough's long service to the Band in 2009.. We are in discussions regarding how the Band will mark their Assocation with Pete Postlewaite and an announcement will be made in due course.

Colin Preston
    Band Manager

10. manx_yessir

manx_yessir Member

Was it 'Lost For Words'? where Thora Hird played his mother? If I remember rightly, they were searching for an retirement home she had spotted called ''Spongo.'' I think I have it on VHS somewhere!

Top bloke and top actor

RIP

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Peter William Postlethwaite Sincere
    REST IN PEACE
    PETE
    Brass Band World
    Peter renown
  12. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Thats the one!!!!

13. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Very sad news indeed, I loved every role he played; he truly was a great actor

14. Pyman71

Pyman71 Member

What was it he said at the end of Brassed Off? "Land of Hope and B****y Glory". We can rest assured that Pete has gone on to a better one.
    He will be sadly missed.

15. liteman

liteman New Member

When I started in Theatre, Pete was one third of the cast on a very difficult performance peice at the Everyman Theatre Liverpool. I was but a callow youth struggling with a tricky lighting plot and an unfamiliar console, Pete was in public at least most supportive. A rare talent indeed.

16. Nanny Ogg

Nanny Ogg Member

Everyone who has posted have all expressed it wonderfully. I can only say RIP Peter, you so deserve that and the accolades

17. bariwizard

bariwizard Member

One of those actors who has done a lot more than most people realise, as the TV obits have shown this week.
    I will always remember his work in brassed off with great affection, particularly his inspiring conducting in the winning performances of both William Tell and the New Jerusalem at the Nationals. His contribution to our movement is as enormous and significant as Slyvester Stallone's to Boxing.
    It is good to read that Grimethorpe are planning to commemorate this, and I would like to see the featuring favourites from Brassed off on their concerts if possible, or maybe even a Brassed Off inspired programme at Gateshead in November which would be a treat.

18. Brass_Head

Brass_Head New Member

What a guy, a brilliant actor; wonderfully earthy and still a better conductor than most MD's I've seen!

19. winterman

winterman Member

A sad loss indeed.. A wonderful actor (I actually watched Inception again on Monday night forgetting he was in that too).

As Grimethorpe have pointed a good, loyal, friend to brass bands too.

I remember in 2000 when we qualified for the National Finals he, personally, sent us a cheque for £100 towards the fund raising effort with the simple phrase "Go get 'em!" on the accompanying letter.

RIP

20. baritone horn

baritone horn New Member

Lost for words was brilliant as was Pete Postlewaite a very gentle gentleman. Spongo is actually Osmanton Grange Nursing Home, located in Belper, Derbyshire. Was the council offices when I was a lass!

21. Murray_P

Murray_P New Member

BBC Tribute Show

BBC 2 are showing a Tribute Show to Pete Postlewaite tonight at 7.30pm. On Monday Grimethorpe Colliery Band recorded as part of it what they think is a very moving musical item for the closing credits.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Peter William Postlethwaite Sincere
    REST IN PEACE
    PETE
    Brass Band World
    Peter renown