Peter Skellern

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by brass1m, Jan 16, 2004.

1. brass1m

brass1m New Member

Some years ago, Peter Skellern produced several albums featuring music from the 30's amd 40's eg: Love is the sweetest Thing, Cheek to Cheek, The Continental, Busy Line, etc.

Many of these tracks were arranged for Guitar+Piano combo and Brass Band (Grimethorpe performing).

Does anybody know whether these arrangements are commercially or privately available?

Many thanks

Mike

2. NeilW

NeilW Member

Well, he's still "touring" with Richard Stilgoe (very funny shows!) so should be contactable.

I've got one of their tour videos at home, so I'll see if there's a contact address for him/them.

Neil.

3. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

About ten years ago, Wantage did a joint concert with Peter Skellern at which we jointly performed these numbers. They were on photocopied manuscript, if I recall correctly, and I seem to have the impression that they weren't commercially available.

But then I might be totally wrong - this doesn't seem to have stuck in the head of my 14-year-old self very firmly!

Dave

4. Highams

Highams Member

When Hanwell recorded 'You're A Lady' with Peter Skellern, that number, and a couple of other tracks, were arranged by Andrew Pryce Jackman, you could try looking him up.

www.euph9.freeserve.co.uk

5. Borfeo

Borfeo Member

Ah, Peter Skellern........that reminds me of my last week ever at Salford Uni. Got called up, along with about 8 others from the course to go and appear on Stars in Their eyes, miming along to a recording of Grimey playing the backing track of "You're a Lady" while some old codger sang his way through it. Was great fun.......especially when we were in the next dressing room to the Anastacia dancers ...mmmmmmm..........

Was a great day, lots of free beeer afterwards, got a free Taz bar off Matthew kelly (Was a bit strange him walking around offering everybody sweets) and we all ended up pissed before the actual recording, (Due to two for one Victoria bitter in the Walkabout) I've never sweated so much in my life :roll:

Anyways, that was slightly off topic, carry on!!!

6. markyboy

markyboy Member

A bit more Peter Skellern trivia for everyone!
    Peter was a percussion player with the NYBBGB and also was in a documentry about Grimethorpe when they toured Italy in about 1979.
    Again he was playing percussion for them.

7. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I thought he was a Trombonist?

cf. http://www.buffam.com/nybb.html is the best Google found at short notice.

Dave

8. markyboy

markyboy Member

I'm certain he was a pecusssionist for the NYBBGB. I have seen past course photos with him on, and he did play play percussion on the Grimey documentry which was called 'Arrividerci Grimethorpe' and was narrated by the late Brian Glover.
    Peter Skellern was far too musical to play a trombone!!!!
    (Just a joke!) Not too good at doing those smily things!!

9. RThomp7462

RThomp7462 Member

I played in the NYBBGB in the mid 60s. I have several photos of that time, and yes, Peter played trombone, and piano in the evenings (after we all had a few drinks at a local pub [forbidden . . . I know!!]).

Roger Thompson

Flowers Band
    and Wright & Round

10. markyboy

markyboy Member

Sorry everyone! I got it wrong!!!

(He DID play percussion on the Grimey tour to Italy though!!)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Cheek to Cheek
    albums
    music
    eg
    Many