Peter Roberts to retire....

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Anno Draconis, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member the end of the year, according to 4BR

Can't believe we've heard the last contest performance from him. The word "legend" gets a bit over-used but I can't think of a better word to describe one of the most phenomenal players of any instrument I've ever heard.

Peter, you'll be missed :(
  2. MickM

MickM Member

Would anybody like to explain why a big tough guy like me is sat in front of his computer getting all emotional :-?

Maybe something to do with the likes of THIS

Good luck Pete!
  3. That's a very classy finish.

To retire at a time you're still regarded the best of all players out there in banding... I take my hat off to him.
  4. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

What ^ they all said. An amazing player. :clap:
  5. Griffis

Griffis Member

Absolutely...listening to that performance is a privilege, but actually sharing the stage during that performance is a bigger privilege, but to listen to him in my right year for two years...priceless

The best Flowerdale i've heard, and like Mick said...very emotional!!

All the best Mr Roberts
  6. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Amazing. Just amazing. And what a classy way to bow out. The brass band world is so much poorer without him performing in it.

Enjoy the retirement Peter. :clap:
  7. JohnnyEuph

JohnnyEuph Member

Hats off to him, bravo, a real 'leg end!'.

Very much took a leaf out of Michael Schumacher's book??
  8. PowerRanger

PowerRanger Member

WoW! Didn't know Peter Roberts was a racing driver as well :biggrin:
    What a guy! :clap:

9. Keith Stanley James Lever

Keith Stanley James Lever Supporting Member

Peter Roberts to retire

I first met Peter Roberts in the early 80's when I went to Grimethorpe, Peter and I became very good friends, all the very best in your retirement Peter from Keith, Pat and Debbie.
  10. zak

zak Member

Great player :clap: ....... Seem to remember him retiring a few years back after the area tho when he left Grimey. I was sat in the audience listening to him playing memories with the band in between the results with various banding figures saying how much he would be missed. Not much longer after he was playing again with another band.

Perhaps we will see him again this time also??? ;)
  11. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

First heard his playing on an LP called 'Grimethorpe Entertains'. Been a huge fan ever since.
    Enjoy the retirement Sir, although I will miss hearing the playing.
  12. davidaus

davidaus New Member

Goodbye legend

He is certainly the best I have heard ... what a sound, what tunning. I last heard him at the 2006 Open and he had such a beautiful clear sound without the nerves at all of the other Sops on the day.

Pity the person who has to fill those big shoes at Dyke. It is a shame he only has one solo CD out there as there so much more he should record.

13. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

It takes a big person to decide to bow out while still performing at their best. He'll be missed, but in a way I'm happier that he'll retire now, than gradually fade away.
  14. JR

JR Member

Pete to retire

I first heard Pete Roberts (no relation!) in the late 60s ( I was v young) with Grimethorpe in a concert under George Thompson which included Pete playing Post Horn Galop - I remember being knocked out by the brilliance of his playing.
    Many years later (1989) I conducted Rothwell on tour in Norway with Pete as guest soloist in several concerts - note perfect every time.
    I also knew Pete from our time at Barnsley College, studying under the "Major"
    and I would like to wish him all the best in his retirement

John R
  15. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Ditto a number of posts above. It's best to bow out gracefully while still at the top of your game. Peter Roberts has had a glittering career in banding, playing with some of the very best bands and players and winning every trophy going.

Great sportsmen over the years have often gone on too long and ended up on the scrapheap, just a shadow of their former selves. Take Bobby Moore, Muhammed Ali, Gazza. All fantastic at their game, but kept on going long after the sparkle had gone. On the other hand, look at Bjorn Borg and Eric Cantona; they will be remembered as wonderfully talented individuals who retired when they were still winning.

Peter Roberts, in my opinion, is one of the true 'greats' of our movement. His decision to quit must have been a difficult one, but I think he has made the right choice.
  16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

A fantastic ambassador for musicians everywhere, not just brass bands. Let's hope he carries on playing as sop. for Battle Creek.
  17. axelo

axelo Member

Wow, what can I say, he will be missed!
    Good luck Peter, a pity I haven't had the opportunity to watch you live.
  18. Sopman

Sopman Member

I first saw Peter play at "Brass in Concert" in the 80's with Grimey at the Dolphin Centre in Darlington when I was about 13/14. I played Rep at the time, but he inspired me to take up Sop and 20+ years later, I still love it!!

His playing (in my humble opinion) is second to none and in agreement with other comments on here, its a great shame we'll not hear him again. But, to go out on top, he will stay a "Legend" for ever in my mind.

Best wishes to you, Peter, enjoy the retirement, your playing will be sorely missed.
  19. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

A BIG NAME with a little instrument who as made it sing ever since.
    A real star and if anyone as not read Peter Roberts's book get it because it a real cracker ;i could not put it down.
  20. rebecca

rebecca Member

A sad old day. He is a true legend and will be difficult to replace. Flowerdale at the Euros 2004 was amazing.All the best Pete.