Peter Roberts' autobiography

Discussion in 'theMouthPiece.com User Reviews' started by Brian Kelly, Sep 18, 2003.

1. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

I bought a copy of Peter Roberts' autobiography at the Open, "A Legend in his own Lifetime", and I can thoroughly recommend it. I should imagine it is a "must-read" for soprano cornet players, but it is very interesting for the rest of us. It gives an insight into what life is like at the highest levels of banding,and about what it was like to play for Grimethorpe in the days when it was still very much a traditional colliery band with most of its members employed at the pit. I particularly enjoyed reading about events I remember, e.g. Granada Band of the Year contests, the visit to Italy recorded and filmed by Granada TV. Above all, it is the life and times of one of the truly great brass players. Go out and buy! :D

2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Hi Brian. Glad to see you've joined us!

I can endorse the recommendation wholeheartedly. It is quite a compulsive read, and has a good mix of domestic happenings and banding events, including references to some of the more dubious goings on that affect banding from time to time.

One warning: once you start reading you're not going to want to stop, so answer all your posts first :!: :lol: :lol:

3. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

I can also recommend this book. I bought it at the Open and read it all on the way back up to Scotland I just couldn't put it down.

Pete is a fabulous player and person, who I have been priveliged to play with on numerous occasions. I played with YBS at a concert in Aberdeen and Pete was sat right behind me and we were playing Procession to the Minster. Towards the end of the piece it felt as though Pete was stood on my shoulders, he can play so powerfully yet still produce an amazing singing tone.

4. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

I brought it at the open and have read it twice now. The way in which it is written is fantastic and you can't put it down-it even brings tears to your eyes in parts. Well Done Peter :lol: .

5. markyboy

markyboy Member

My copy of the book arrived yesterday and I have to agree that it really is such a great read.
    What amazes me is his memories of all the contests and the details!
    Just this week I've talked to people who have sat next to him as a 'one off' and Peter's biggest problem is that when you are sat next to someone so good, you dont want to play your part, you just want to listen to him!
    'He's so good it made me feel like giving up playing' said one player (who happens to be pretty good herself) was just one of the comments made.
    It seems to be a well established fact that Peter is THE best soprano player of all time, but maybe the best player the brass band movement has ever produced that still plays in a band?
    As opposed to the likes of Maurice Murphy, Ian Bousefield etc who moved onto the orchestral scene.
    Anyone beg to differ?
    Maybe a new thread is in the offing. The best brass band player of all time?

6. spanishflee

spanishflee New Member

Who does he think he is !

I can not beleive the audasity of the man (peter Roberts) A Legend in his own Lifetime , you go out on the street today and ask 100 people if they can give you an example of a legend , for me a rough guess of what there answer would be Gandi , Stephen Halking and other truly amazing people this guy played the sop in a band !!!!!!!!!! yes i am sure he great but does that give him the right to call hemself a legend?
    In real life who is he?

7. Moy

Moy Active Member

We are talking brass bands here....wise up.

Ask 100 bandsman if they know who Pete Roberts is and then wait for the answer. Can't believe that. He is a God.......or should I not mention Pete Roberts name in the same breath???

Edited because I wrote back so quickly in anger.

8. Curious

Curious Member

Re: Who does he think he is !

At least you spelt Mr.Robert's name correctly as opposed to the other examples cited. I would love to hear your opinion on the three David Beckham autobiographies. NOT REALLY!!!

By the way 'legend' is defined as 'famous, renowned person'. I think that works on this forum and throughout the brass band world. :wink:

9. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Peter Roberts Autobiography

I response to spanishflee I would suggest it's easy to make such comments when you hide in anonymity. I too looked up a dictionary definition and found "a notable person or the stories of his or her exploits". Peter Roberts has thrilled us with his ability for many years. He has performed consistently on a very difficult instrument. Over the years he's had more than a few exploits. Really, I can't think of a better description for the man although I personally would spell "god" with a small "g"!!! :wink: Thanks Peter (if you ever read this) and I am very impatiently awaiting news of your solo CD. It can't come soon enough for me and many, many others.

10. Moy

Moy Active Member

He's probably a failed soprano player or even a jealous one.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    A Legend
    Peter Roberts
    Open
    Lifetime
    Granada Band
  12. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Re: Peter Roberts Autobiography

The latest on this is that it is due to be released in March 2004.
    However, it can be pre-ordered from our Mail Order department, it's reference number 21216 and will be £12.95. It's not on the World of Brass website yet as the cover hasn't been 'signed off'.
    When I get a track list, I'll post it on tMP.

13. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Peter Roberts

:D Thanks World of Brass; you can count on it :D :D :D