Peter Ridsdale, United we fall

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by 2nd man down, Apr 12, 2008.

1. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I read Peter Ridsdale's autobiography the other week and have to say I was quite stunned at how he has been painted as the bad boy of the Leeds Utd downfall (provided what he had to say is true of course!). I started reading it to have a bit of a gloat at a team I dislike (and I have to say a man I had reservations about because of the press perception of him) and ended up feeling gutted for the bloke.
    I note with equal interest that the people he seems to lay the blame at the door of have been rather slow to come out of the woodwork and deny any of it.

It also interests me that the two clubs he has been involved at since his departure from Leeds recently contested one of this seasons FA cup semi finals and one (his current team) is in the final. Doesn't exactly reek of the poor leadership he was accused of at Leeds does it?
    He squarely lays the blame at the feet of the Leeds board, David O'leary (who's involvement in some transfer dealings look to be more than a little suspect!) and the chairman who took over from him and made some monumentally bad calls.

Anyone else read it? Thoughts?
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2008
  2. agentorange

agentorange Member

No, I haven't read it, but have to disagree.

How can he blame David O'leary? Surely O'Leary could only have made signings that Ridsdale himself sanctioned! Any manager who was given the licence to spend that amount of cash would have done exactly the same thing. And, if he didn't agree with the other board members then he could have (and should have) walked away.

No, he made some monumental financial errors (gambling the future of the club on expected champions league earnings which never materialised) and in my opinion is the main reason that Leeds are in the state they are in now.

I'm sure that Cardiff fans, although happy with their cup run, aren't exactly thrilled with their clubs financial situation either (rumoured to be over £20m in debt and on the brink of administration).

And, as a Yorkshireman, I know of several Barnsley fans who didn't want him at their club and were glad to see the back of him.

Sorry, but Ridsdale deserved all the critism he got, and more.
  3. 2nd man down

No, I have to admit, I thought the same of him, but read the book (like I say, we only have his word for whether it's all true or not). He was constantly undermined, had decisions made under him, and then when he tried to put it right they shot him in the back and painted him the bad guy.

The actions of O'leary are quite staggering when you read about it, wanting Dacourt sold, and then when Ridsdale and the board had all but sold him to one Italian club, O'leary changed his mind. It turned out he had sorted out his own deal with Juve for Dacourt (for less money) and changed his mind about the sale when he realised that his deal wasn't going to go through and (on the face of it) his own pocket wasn't going to get lined.
    Ridsdale only found this out much later when at another meeting with Juve about another player the Juve board had a go at him for only sending O'leary to seal the Dacourt deal while he himself had been trying to sell him elsewhere. Ridsdale had known nothing about it.
    And the agents fee's that kept appearing, that the club had to end up paying, but that only O'leary had sanctioned have to be read to be believed. Why hasn't O'leady denied any of it? Damn sure I would have if it wasn't true.

As for the Cardiff thing, they were days from going out of business all together when Sam Hammam contacted Riodsdale to help save the club. This he has done, an FA cup final position is testament to that. Barnsley are no worse of for him having been there either. I can understand the fans not having wanted him there, to everyone he was the reason Leeds were on the downward spiral. It turns out he wasn't. Too many people believe the press (myself included.)
  4. Wintruder

Wintruder New Member

What does he have to say about the Seth Johnson transfer?
  5. Wintruder

Wintruder New Member

Not read the bit about Seth Johnson 2md? Stick to Janet & John books son..............
  6. 2nd man down

I've read the book, can't just bring to mind the Seth Johnson bit (I take it you have read it?)...perhaps you'd like to remind me?

And what's with the insult? Was that really called for?
  7. 2nd man down

Ah yes, the Seth Johnson thing, the bloke they bought from one club and ended up selling him back for much less? I can't remember the exact ins and outs of that bit, it wasn't one of the bits that sticks out for me, however the truth of what actually happened isn't how the mass public believe it to be, I remember that much.
    Maybe you could put your own janet and John book down and read Peter Ridsdales to find out. Don't worry, it's in quite large print. :rolleyes:
    Ridsdale openly admits he made mistakes, most of which were down to being a passionate fan of the club when he should have been more of a level headed chairman, and he clearly states that there were purchases (Robbie Fowler and someone else I can't remember the name of) that they should never have made, but a lot of the money that was spent was spent out from beneath him, and a lot of the time he was just landed with the bills to pay.

Trust me, read it, it's an eye opener.
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2008
  8. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Whilst I agree he may have saved Cardiff from going under, unless Ridsdale takes the training I am certain Dave Jones and the team had a lot more to do with reaching the Cup Final than Ridsdale.

Robbie Fowler was such a mistake... who does he play for now? ;)

At the end of the day he was Chairman of Leeds and was ultimately responsible and could have over-ruled any of the decisions.

I feel no sympathy for this man, he was happy to sanction all the spending D'OL did and when it went wrong has looked to blame evrybody else.

I appreciate Crawf that you have read the book, which I have not, but he is not likely to admit that he oversaw some of the biggest over spending by an under achieving and unproven manager. Not at least whilst he is in a position of the same responsibility at an another club.
  9. Wintruder

Wintruder New Member

It wasn't an insult. Merely a suggestion that you'd get more benefit reading J & J than the utter pile of garbage that PR has written.

So what's the excuse for your insult? A smiley???
  10. 2nd man down

So have you read it?

Apologies if you're comment wasn't an insult directed at me, however it's how it read.
  11. Wintruder

Wintruder New Member

Yes I've read it. Utter garbage IMHO.

And it wasn't an insult directed at you.
  12. 2nd man down

Agreed, but had he not stepped in when he did there would not have been a club left to get to the final

Again, agreed, but it's a different club, that has not spent the same cash as leeds had, different situation all together. He didn't say Fowler was a bad player, just a deal too far for Leeds at the time.

This he wholly accepts where it's applicable, but you really need to read it to see how many times others acted without the authority or knowledge of the Leeds board and himself.

Believe me, neither did I, as far as I was concerned he was the idiot that ruined a club that I really dislike (so he was a figure of ridicule to me), but having read what he's said (and note again that no-one has openly denied anything he's said about them), he really wasn't the one who ruined what they had, he was the bloke (and passionate Leeds man) that was made to carry the can.

In part, yes he does.

Both Barnsley and Cardiff approached him, ask a Cardiff fan if they're sorry he's there now. Bet you'll struggle to find many.
  13. 2nd man down

You think everything he said was lies? How come no legal action from anyone he named then?

And you have my sincere apologies, the way I read it you were having a pop at me.
  14. Wintruder

Wintruder New Member

15. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

If I did something that cost my company alot of money, behind my bosses back I would not have had a second opportunity to do it again! My boss would have ensured that.

Am really tempted to have a read of this, if only to get a balance to my own opinions.

However Ridsdale is a great example of how succesful businessmen forget how to run a company properly when they get their hands on a football club.
  16. 2nd man down

Do read it Chunky, it's worth the read. I'm intreagued to find others points of view on this, it occurs to me that most of the people I've spoken to about it seem to still come down on the side of the mass public opinion of him rather than finding some sympathy for him, and I'm wondering now whether I've sympathisedwith his point of view mostly because it casts Leeds rather than Ridsdale himself in a bad light. :-? Have I read it blinkered? Surely if what he was saying was lies he'd be faced with law suits coming out of his ears? Disbelievers of what he says I can accept, but if he'd lied about me I'm pretty sure I'd be trying to shout louder to make sure everyone knew it wasn't true.

On an aside, the issue of the agents fee in the article posted by Wintruder isn't as clear cut as he makes out.
    Some time back, someone within my own company tried to organise a Christmas party, and contacted the venue using company note paper (without the specific consent of the company, but not deliberately, this issue just hadn't ocurred to them at the time). The Christmas Party eventually fell through but the venue still persued our company for payment of the deposit, and legally we were bound to pay it because the approach to them and confirmation of the deposit amount had been on official headed paper. If O'leary had done the same thing with the agents without Leeds consent, they may have been faced with the same legal problem. Just a thought. To say they just shouldn't have paid it, isn't quite correct without all the facts.