Peter Kay - Amarillo

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by DublinBass, Apr 27, 2005.

1. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Does Peter Kay really sing this tune or is it another Milli Vanilli?
  2. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

Nah - Mr Kay only mimes on the video - the singer is Tony Christie.
  3. DublinBass

So then why is it always listed as "Amarillo - Tony Christie and Peter Kay" ?

Surely if he didn't sing it, he shouldn't be listed in the credits?
  4. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

It's not always listed like that.. depends which version u get to listen to.
  5. DublinBass

I think the ones I saw were for ring tones
  6. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

Probably because without the remarketing of it by Peter Kay, Amarillo would not have been number one for 6 weeks!
  7. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Because it's officially mimed by peter kaye... sort of the same reason busted got listed on their records...

TIMBONE Active Member

On the CD & DVD which Julie bought to contribute to Comic Relief, (which is what it was produced for), it says Tony Christie featuring Peter Kay. Peter used Amarillo in one of his Phoenix Nights series. It has been a benefit to everyone involved, Comic Relief funds, Peter Kay fans, and a comeback for an excellent 1970's singer, the one and only Tony Christie!
  9. Jamie

Jamie Member

Peter Kay's a legend!
  10. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

Yeah, he got to sing at the christmas light switch on in Bolton!!! What more can a guy ask for?!?!?!?! ;)
  11. DublinBass

No doubt...I want to take his DVDs back to the States to remind me of my fine time at England!!
  12. Trackerbar

Trackerbar New Member

I wonder how much the people of the US would understand. I mean I have met southerners that dont get it, so what hope have americans got. A true reminder that the north south divide still exists.
  13. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

It's provided hours of amusement in the office (and we need cheering up working for Network Rail!) and for my little lad, who does a hilarious dance to the tune.

14. DublinBass

Some of us don't live inside a box and are quite clever ;)
  15. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Ha... He's from Yorkshire so dont be offended...

Plus, Peter Kay Sucks... He's not funny at all anymore... Once the same acts been used for 5 years it becomes boring to all but the mindless idiots that liked stupidities such as Little Britain and Bo Selecta!!
  16. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

Mine too! I reckon they must play the song alot at his nursery. Every time it comes on he dances and claps along. Not bad for a one year old!
  17. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

But sometimes a little banality can be a good thing, especially at the end of a long day.
  18. DublinBass

I think he's funny...probably because its all still realtively new to me :D
  19. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Its the same as with anything "cult" though. They're great til anyone actually finds out about them. Red Dwarf went rubbish after it got popular and there are other examples (Ali G?). At least The Office and The Fast Show stopped before they got too cliched
  20. Jamie

Jamie Member

Dude! We've had the Little Britain discussion before! It's hilarious! And I can assure you that I am neither mindless, nor an idiot. :( Quite the contrary, in fact, even if I do say so myself. Yet I respect your opinion... ;)

Bo Selecta on the other hand is drivel...

And I'm as southern as they come and have never had any trouble with Mr Kay's humour... in fact, in some cases it's the difference that makes it all the more funny.