Peter Graham - Dimensions

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by mark_scott, Oct 20, 2010.

1. mark_scott

mark_scott Member

I was wandering if anyone knew weather there was an errata sheet for Peter Graham's Dimensions or if anyone knew where certain parts were wrong. If anyone does could you please help me out and let me know.

Many Thanks

Mark Scott
  2. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I'd advise contacting the publisher (Boosey and Hawkes, IIRC) and asking them.
  3. wagger-g

wagger-g Member

I've worked on this piece with a few bands, including winning Brass at the Guild on it in February, and I'm not aware of any significant errors in the score or parts. :tup
  4. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

I recall that although this piece was originally published by B & H it is now published/distributed by Studio Music - perhaps they can help?
  5. Blower

Blower Member

Why do we continue to accept music with errors in it? Shouldn't we send it back and ask for a correct copy?
  6. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

There aren't any in Dimensions.....
  7. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

You mean, why do publishers publish music with errors in it?

Possibly because some publishers skimp on proof-reading to keep prices down in response to bands' continual complaints that sheet music is too expensive. The matter is probably exacerbated by the industrial quantity of illegal photocopying of parts which goes on in the band world, which further deprives publishers of valuable income which might otherwise pay for proof-reading services.

And possibly other reasons as well. I don't know. I'm not in the publishing industry.
  8. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

Most of the points you make are valid, James. But I don't think publishers deliberately skimp to save money - after all it's quite a lot of work sorting out errata after publication.

But I do think they sometimes rely on the composer to proof their own work, which may or may not be a good idea, depending how good a proof reader the composer is.

I can think of some who are very good at it..................:rolleyes:
  9. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Andy Baker from what I've read, and I've only had to alter my part when playing his music to match my own capabilities.........

(I could say the same for Mr Sparkes' music as well)
  10. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

there is one little typo, check the score and solo cor part at the duet bit (cant remember the letter name) is it U??
    anyway rhythmn is wrong on solo cor part but right in the score
  11. I not found any errors in Dimensions - always plentyy of scribblings on the copy though mainly to add additional expression markings to make the ensemble.