Peter Gane Mutes

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Griffis, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Griffis

Griffis Member

Hi everybody, I'm just wandering if Peter Gane Mutes are still widely available as I remember they stopped producing them a couple of years ago, but then started to build them again, but now I'm not sure if they still are!

The reason I'm asking is I would like to have a Flugel Horn mute (if they actually make them)

I already have a adjustable cup mute for cornet/trumpet and would love to have the same one for my Flugel.

Any help would be welcome!

Thanks
    Dewi

2. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

The joys of Google ;) :

http://mutes.gerrybirch.co.uk/

It looks like 37 quid will get you a straight and 62 quid for a cup but its a non-adjustable type. I have one from just before they ceased production before. I guess they're made from the same materials now. It's OK, but I find it tends to make me sound a bit tinny - I know its a straight mute and I guess that's sort of the effect you would expect to get, but the difference in sound between open and muted is greater that say the difference with a horn or cornet. (Well it makes sense to me anyway!).

That said, it is far and away the best straight mute I've tried for flugel, much better IMO than the equivalent Wick.

3. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Unison Music

Peter Gane Flugel Horn Straight Mute
    £31.49 (£37.00 inc. VAT)
    54 Wincheap
    Canterbury
    Kent
    CT1 3RS
    United Kingdom
    Peter Rose on 01227 764580 or email: enquiries@unisonmusic.co.uk

hope this helps Dewi
    ta amigo

4. RDH

RDH New Member

http://www.dembro.nl/products.php?type=cup&lang=en

same sound/quality as the Peter Gane mutes, actually there're made because they stopped producing. a lot of championship bands in holland/belgium use these mutes, and I think with the shipping costs it may be even cheaper than the 62 mentioned above. cup is adjustable

edit: I just read the mutes are for sale in Great Britait too

5. Rob Hanson

Rob Hanson New Member

Dembro Mutes

Dembro mutes are available from John Packer Ltd

They are on their website

www.johnpacker.co.uk or call them on 01823 282386

6. Griffis

Griffis Member

Thanx everybody!

Very much appreciated

7. MickM

MickM Member

You could always save yourself some money by not bothering with the flugel, go back to cornet and move to West Yorkhire :wink:

8. Griffis

Griffis Member

Lol...nice try mate!! :wink: