Peter Gane - Adjustable Trumpet Cup Mute

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by jameshowell, Feb 20, 2004.

1. jameshowell

jameshowell Active Member

My trumpet teacher let me delve into his mutes bag about a year ago, and one of the mutes I tried was a Peter Gane Adjustable Cup Mute.

It was really free blowing, had a great sound and - a new bonus, as a result of my new trumpet having a larger than normal bell - fits, unlike every other make :shock: .

Now I have been trying to track one down ever since, and have drawn blanks. A few people, and retailers, have told me he is dead, but my trumpet teacher has seen him after when I was told this, so I was wondering whether

a) anyone knew whether the rumour as to his death is true

and

b) anyone have a clue where I can find one of these mutes?

2. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I am willing to be corrected on this, but, as I understand it:

1) Peter Gane did not make the mutes himself.
    2) The man who did make the mutes for him has passed away
    3) Chances of finding a Peter Gane adjustable cup mute for trumpet/cornet are, approx, nil.

Sorry ..........

G.

3. jameshowell

Thats what I thought might be the case, thanks for clearing it up for me :lol:

Oh well, at least now I know. One last time phoning/emailing round the retailers just in case there is one laying in the back of the shop anywhere, but i'll just have to make do with finding a different make that fits my trumpet (shame though, I loved the Peter Gane ones!).

So, now that is cleared up, does anyone know of a good adjustable cup mute that will fit the Taylor trumpets???

The Humes and Berg one fits, and is good, but it isn't adjustable and I wanted something softer sounding, like the Peter Gane.

4. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

nice :)

Which model do you have? Have played on a Chicago Custom for a we while.. was pretty good, if not a bit heavy!!!

Have you spoken to the guys at Taylor?

http://www.taylortrumpets.com

5. jameshowell

Yeah, when I went to see him for some custom modifications before xmas, he suggested Peter Gane if I could get hold of one.

I play a Taylor London, I managed to get hold of it in perfect condition for £700!

If you go to My Website you can see a pic of it. It's the older model London, opne of the early ones (I p[refer these anyway, they are completely handmade, newer ones are machined alot).

But I'm wanting to get a Chicago Custom II as soon as I can save up for it :lol:

I've got to go see him, gotta get a new bell section and relacquer due to damage, so I'll speak to him then.

6. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

I thought it was Peter Gane that had passed away, but his son had taken over the business... or maybe it was the guy who made them for him's son who was taking over.. either way i think they are still in production somewhere.. but could be wrong.

7. jameshowell

that's the thing, there seem to be so many "hearsay" stories as to what has happened. If only someone on tMP knew Peter Gane... (it's a long shot, but hey, we're a resourceful bunch :lol: )

8. Dawnys_flug

Dawnys_flug Member

9. jameshowell

Cheers Dawny!

Haven't heard back from them yet, but fingers crossed...

And at least it's a glimmer of hope if unsuccessful, as there are odd ones around seemingly...

10. asteria

asteria Member

As i understand it Mr Gane died (or somebody died anyway!) and production of the mutes stopped and sources of Peter Gane mutes dried up. Recently somebody else (Mr Gane jr perhaps?) has inherited/bought/found the 'knowledge' of Peter Ganes mute-making genius and is planning to start making them again (hurrah!).

May be a while before we see any tho, and whether they're the same remains to be seen, but perhaps there's a happy ending after all!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Peter Gane
    Peter Gane Adjustable Cup Mute
    new bonus
    Peter Gane - Adjustable Trumpet Cup
    great sound
  12. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

13. The_Maestro

The_Maestro New Member

Bad news I'm afraid.

I sold the Music Cellar's last PG mute this morning.

14. jameshowell

I have managed to find a website advertising aforementioned mutes I am looking for (the rosemusic link posted a couple of messages back by WhatSharp?), but am still waiting for a reply from my enquiry.

I was just wondering whether people know of any other places that may have one left in stock?

Thanks. :lol:

15. jameshowell

16. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

James, for what it's worth, I recently bought a "Don Maslet" adjustable cup mute. Appears to be quite similar material to the Peter Gane, although a little more rigid in construction. Works well for me (on a Schilke B5), and gives a nice range of different sounds depending on the cup position. I would recommend you try one, at least.

Got mine from Phil Parker; don't know if anyone else distributes them..........

Regards,

G.

17. jameshowell

Thanks for that, I'll look into trying one. I'm going to John Myatt's soon to get a Reunion Blues Triple Trumpet leather gig bag, and I know they stock the Don Maslet range, so I'll have a go while I'm there.

I may consider buying both, I'm gonna get a Humes and Berg as well, I need a few different "sounding" mutes for different genres I play in.

Just one question GJG, what material is the cup section? Just the big winner for the PG was the soft cup section...

18. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

The cup material seems to be the same as the main cone, ie some kind of fibre composite - fairly pliable. There is a plastic reinforcing ring around the upper edge of the cup (presumably to help keep the shape) and a rubber"skirt" (for want of a better description) around the bottom of the cup, which both holds the cup in position, and acts as a seal. The inside of the cup is lined with soft felt-like material. If you really want the softest possible "cup" sound, it probably isn't quite as soft as a PG (I wonder if the plastic ring contributes to "hardening" the sound somewhat?), but otherwise I personally think it's an excellent mute.

G.

19. jameshowell

Thanks for that, it's really halpful, I'll definately give them a go, sound like they are somewhat between a PG and a Humes and Berg, maybe even a good compromise for a 'general' cup mute...