Pet(s) and them taking tablets

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ian perks, Dec 30, 2008.

1. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

My cat Berlioz had to go to the vets last night emergency case at 10.15pm
    Turns out she had Cystitis.
    Vet bill was £115.00.
    Now she as got to have 3 tablets a day.
    She is not the best for having tablets so i will be crushing them up into powder form and then putting the crushed tablets on food and giving them to her like that rarther than struggle with her spitting them out.
    What are/is your pet(s) like at taking tablets?

2. David Mann

David Mann Member

Get some sliced sandwich ham (as a butcher you'll even get a discount!). Fold over pill a couple of times. Animal eats the lot. Works for my dogs, maybe cats are more cunning...

3. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

hold the tablet out and the dog takes them. The cat is a bit more tricky. One person wraps her tightly in a towel. The other forces open the side of her mouth, puts the tablet in, holds her mouth closed and rubs her throat until she swallows. Dosing in food is fine if you can be certain your cat will eat every scrap, but if you can't they aren't going to get the full dose and you've wasted your money

4. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

An Oldie but goodie!....

1. Pick cat up and cradle it in the crook of your arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth, pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth rub throat of cat to encourage swallowing.

2. Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.

3. Retrieve cat from bedroom, and throw soggy pill away.

4. Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of 10.

5. Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call wife from garden.

6. Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, holding front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get wife to hold cat's head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.

7. Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.

8. Wrap cat in large towel and get wife to lie on cat with its head just visible from below wife's armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force cat's mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.

9. Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink glass of water to take taste away. Apply band-aid to wife's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

10. Retrieve cat from neighbour's garden shed. Get another pill. Place cat in cupboard and close door onto neck to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.

11. Fetch screwdriver from garage and put door back on hinges. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus shot. Throw shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.

12. Ring fire brigade to retrieve cat from tree across the road. Apologise to neighbour who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil wrap.

13. Tie cat's front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table. Find heavy duty pruning gloves from shed. Force cat's mouth open with small spanner. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of fillet steak. Hold head vertically and pour a glass of water down throat to wash pill down.

14. Get wife to drive you to emergency room; sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill remnants from right eye. Stop by furniture shop on way home to order new table.

15. Arrange for session with Psychiatrist for even daring to think about giving your cat a pill!

5. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

:clap: ^Quality!

I used to be pretty good at getting our (deeply hostile) cat to take pills. Crushing them in the cat food never worked, because she had a nose like a bloodhound and could tell we'd adulterated the Whiskas, and wouldn't touch it.

Definitely go for Michelle's towel technique - get cat firmly wrapped in a towel (all four legs), kneel on the floor with towel-wrapped feline gripped between your knees and hold the underside of head firmly with one hand . Open cat's mouth and pop pill in from the side, as far back as you can, with the other hand. Close cat's mouth and rub throat which seems to encourage swallowing. Don't underestimate how long cats can go without swallowing if you've got a bluddyminded one though, I used to have to sit on my cat for anything up to 5 minutes before she'd swallow the wretched pill, and she got sneaky about it, wandering off into a corner to spit it out on the sly . ;)

This works best if they're asleep and a bit dozy when you wrap them. Be prepared to deal with an extremely bad tempered cat when you remove the towel; shin pads might be helpful.:D

6. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

our vets have little "Pill Poppers" which are a tube with a grabby thing on the end which holds the pill. Put the pill on the grabby, put it in the cats mouth as far back as possible then press the plunger. I haven't had the opportunity to try one yet, but I'm sure I will as it's coming up for worming time soon.

Dogs BTW are a doddle.. wrap pill in ham and throw.... magically dissappears.
    or spread a bit of butter on it....

7. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

What you really need is some sort of sausage that you could add the medicine to for the cat to eat.......just need to decide what flavour would be best..... ;)

8. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

I have a goldfish so tablet admistration isn't my forte.

9. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

With two elderly Jack Russells in the house, we have to have a zero tolerance policy on pills. Luckily they're not too bad, but the problem starts when Jerry (older, quite intelligent) refuses his pill. After many attempts and many pill he gives in. Unfortunately, Sam (younger, hasn't the sense he was born with) then thinks it's a good idea to refuse his pill. He is a lot stronger and has drawn blood on more than one occasion. If both good boys, then a slice of ham is the reward. If not, then Daddy gets cross and shuts them in the kitchen for a while!:mad:

10. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Update for you :So far first lot have gone down ok

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Berlioz
    Pet(s)
    cat
    emergency case
    best
  12. dyl

dyl Active Member

Well that's a relief.

PS. I wonder if this thread will last as long as the Liverpool one........................?

13. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

Depends how long he has to keep giving the tablets, and then updating us, I guess. If the cat's on tablets for life it could be a loooooooooong thread.

14. dyl

dyl Active Member

Aye - I can see it now:

:hammer

that's the cat on top, and the tablet at the bottom!

:woo:ranting2::bounce:metal:

15. Di B

Di B Member

Surprised no one has mentioned my trick with cats.... Butter!

Wrapping the cat in a towel and opening their mouth is the way you should do it but unless you are really careful a cat will keep it in their mouth and not swallow it. Putting butter or marge around the tablet makes it tasties for them and ensures it slides down the throat with little effort.

Most cats can smell the tablets in food and will eat around it and yes that includes a piece of meat!

16. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

By jingo, I've got it! Kill the goldfish, stuff it with the tablet and THEN give it to the cat! Sorted...!

17. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

Still laughin' at this one! What a hoot!

18. barrytone

barrytone Member

Dogs are usually a doddle and more and more doggy pills are now meat flavoured or palatable, took the manufacturers a while but they're catching on!
    As for cats, I did use a pill giver in the latter years of my cats lives but I found that a bit of beef spread, or potted beef as we sometimes get in the north, worked wonders. Plaster it round the pill, put the pill on the floor, cat ate it! Result! I actually had more problems grooming my cats than giving them pills, especially as they were getting older and their longish fur used to get tangled and messy.

19. nook1938

nook1938 Supporting Member

My Cats crackers as it is, without giving it pills.

The best way to give a Cat any tablets, is to put them into the palm of your hand and hold it out, as if you was feeding the dog, never fails

nook1938

20. six pints

six pints Active Member

My cat's tablets are in liquid form, so we just squirt it into her mouth. The solid ones she was to take get rushed in with her food- luckily she's a wee bit greedy and eats the lot

21. dyl

dyl Active Member

So, the best way to feed a cat is to pretend you're feeding a dog?

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Berlioz
    Pet(s)
    cat
    emergency case
    best