Personent Hodie

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Will the Sec, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Having played this lovely carol a few times this Yuletide, and having had a few ideas running around in my head whilst playing it, I am minded to compose a set of variations on it.

Has anyone done this before?

Will the Inquisitive

PS Odds for the first (useful) answer to this thread are as follows.

Dyl 30-100 on (Favourite)
    World of Brass 1-2 on
    Dave Payn Evens
    Peter Bale 4-1
    Music Man, Roger Thorne 10-1
    Mods (the rest) 33-1
    Mike Lyons 50-1
    1000-1 Bar
  2. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

im sure you would do a fantastic job on it, any idea for wich instrument your thinking of arranging it for.

i know Roger has done a air varie of good king wenceslas for euphonium, and its very efective.
    does that qualify as a usefull post?
  3. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Just done a quick search for this, and it appears not. Although sets of variations have been composed for other instruments (including carillion) nothing for brass bands, apart from the straight arrangement.

Were you thinking of an air varie type solo or a full band piece?

As I say it was a quick search - so that reply is by no means conclusive - over to the full time BOC's....

Oh, by the way...going on your odds for yesterday's challenge I'd cancel any thoughts of becoming "Will the Bookmaker"....;)
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2004
  4. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

I don't know of any variations on the tune but I have used it in a Christmas piece of mine published in 1978 by SP&S titled "Christmas Comes But Once a Year" (GS 1706).

(Shameless plug;))
  5. Will the Sec

Oh, a full band piece, along the lines of Variations on Laudate Dominum

LBB's comment yesterday refers...
  6. Will the Sec

1978? Wow. Your cat doesn't look that old....

7. Brian Bowen

No, and he doesn't write music either, but he does sing quite a lot. :)
  8. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Not having the PRS database to hand to get me out of a tight spot (!) My odds for useful information on this type of query should be somewhat lengthened! :) All the same, I'm not aware of anyone having composed a set of variations on the tune for any combination. I was going to add a cautionary word to say that the version that appears in the red carol books is (I believe) the work of Gustav Holst (notably the version which intros with the descending 'scale' from F) but even that goes out of copyright in a matter of days! :)
  9. Will the Sec

What's the secret of good arranging?
  10. Will the Sec

11. Brian Bowen

The definition of Secret: kept back from the knowledge of others; guarded against discovery or observation; unrevealed, unidentified; hidden; secluded.

So there you have it. What a bummer! ;)
  12. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Whilst in essence I agree that it is timing, this attempt at a joke would have been far funnier if you had replied to it 10 days later rather than within a minute.
  13. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Personent hodie is a very old tune (14th century), so, notwithstanding Holst's arrangement of it, If you went back to the original tune you would be quite ok to rearrange it as an air varie or whatever.

I'm sure there are many sets of variations or 'divisions' based on this tune, but that doesn't stop you producing a BB version.

Even if there were a BB one in existence, if you used the original tune you would not be infringing anyone else's copyright.

BTW, Will, have you upset your bro' recently? He seems a bit 'snippy' ;) (Does he take sugar? :p)
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2004
  14. Will the Sec

Upsetting LBB?

Nah, well no more than normal...

He's just suffering from at home blues.
  15. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

That was polite repartee, if I used the normal sibling interaction on here I would be barred. What would ever lead you to ask if I take sugar? I don't.
  16. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

It's what passes for wit here in Wigan. It's what you say when you are talking about somebody as if they weren't there. Also a Radio 4 reference to the title of the regular programme for/about disabled people.

It is also a topical reference in school, as the Head of MFL's mother in law refuses to speak to him, and frequently asks his wife "Will he eat this?" or "Does he take sugar?" etc.

It was funny at the time...

I'll shut up now...:oops:
  17. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I know this is going off the beaten track a bit but i once played a piece called
    It is a Salvation Army piece but played it as a test piece and is ideal for 1st&2nd Section Bands to play.
    Any onelse played it at all?
  18. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

We spent some time working on "Maccabeus", although we never actually played it out. We found we could play each section reasonably well, although there are some tricky sections, but didn't really have the stamina needed to put it all together. It is a piece that has grown on me since I first heard it, and the mixture of styles doesn't bother me now as much as it did when I first heard the ISB play it.