Personalising instruments....

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by cornetshell, Oct 28, 2004.

1. cornetshell

cornetshell Member

Ok, so i dont know if i am in the right forum, just after some help really...

Me being me, i want to personalise my cornet a bit- not paint it- or something daft like that, but i wanted coloured felt for my valve pads...if you know what i mean?

I have looked about a bit- but cant really find many other than black or white......i was after...well pink. I know they exist because the euph player in my old band had pink ones- (but they were supposed to be red!) can anyone help me? do you know where theses pink "red" felt thingys can be found?

Many thanks

Chell :)
  2. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Is it possible to dye white ones?
  3. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

You could just make your own. Most craft/hobby stores have a wide variety of felt and other materials - just take one of the felts from your instrument with you to make sure that you get the proper thickness and density. The use it to make a pattern and snip it out.

If the idea catches on, maybe you could become a supplier for others :)
  4. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Cool - instrument "modding" - I like the sound of that. Only problem is if you go for something too far out you'll have trouble selling it if you ever need to. I suppose what one could do is retain all the original felts/other bits for when that happens...

(Yes, I am one of those people would would love to build a pc inside a toaster/Darth Vader Helmet/other weird objects... saw a cool Millenium Falcon one in a magazine once)

5. squirrel

squirrel Member

Nooooo!!!!! before you know it, there will be people with sound triggered neons on their trombones, plexiglass windows in their tuba bells, and power operated tuning slides.
  6. ScaryFlugel

ScaryFlugel Member

For the terrifying result of what happens when you start painting your wotsit, see, click Rogues' Picture Gallery, then Christmas Day 1997 and see bottom right photo for Greg's psychadelic trombone...

Then buy a CD and sign the guestbook!
  7. HBB

HBB Active Member

I like the tuba idea!!
  8. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

Your point being...............?????? :rolleyes: :-D j/k!

A couple of things regarding this issue.....

* Some instrument repairer/restorers already do relacquering of instruments in odd colours, or sell new cheqap nasty instruments with beaut coats. Click here for a stickybeak!

* Vincent Bach is already doing the multicoloured valve tops for trumpets.

* Tubamania engrave their logo underneath the existing logo on all tubas they sell.

*I wouldn't mind a hydrolically driven self tuning tuning slide!!!
  9. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Personalising instruments can be great fun - valve tops are easy to replace, you can get heavy bottom caps, you can get a different leadpipe put on, you can go for a different plating option (gold, silver, coloured etc), personal engraving, the limits are only there with your imagination.
    If you go for a truly personalised instrument and then want to sell it at any point in the future, you do have a slight problem, especially if your tastes are not the same as the majority.

Speaking purely personally, I have had my trumpet customised to a certain extent - I had the leadpipe replaced. I still have the old leadpipe and will probably never sell the instrument, but if I did I would probably give the new buyer the option of either leadpipe.
  10. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

When I got my EEb Bass, my mum had my name and the year I got it engraved on the bottom of it, quite nice when I know its my own, (hopefully nobody will nick it as easily identified) and prob she thot it would make me realise I had to look after it!! Oh you could prob say all the dents and scratches are personalised too!! :rolleyes:
  11. tim

tim Member

If you would like a funny colour lacquer then just put the instrument in a hot bath... I haven't seen the effects but no someone who has done it and it comes out with a marbled effect... The instrument never plays well again but looks superb!!!

Im not sure they qualify as bilton SILVER band anymore ;)