Personal Recording

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by JDH, Nov 4, 2006.

1. JDH

JDH Member

I would like to digitally record my next concert to send to my sister who cannot make it.

Can anyone suggest what equipment to use to record which would not cost too much, pick up the sound of brass from the audience and be easy to operate (I would need to get my elderly mother to switch on!).

Thanks for any help!

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

On eBay you can look for the now discontinued Sony MZ-N10 at knockdown prices. Top of the range MD recorder just before they introduced the HD format and mp3 players came on the market. If you are buying another model, be careful that it actually can use a mic. to record with. Some descriptions can be misleading. is a good site for reviews and manuals.

There are several adequate mics there as well. Check their specs and watch out for possibly fake branded mics. such as the Sony ECM-DS70P. This might do the job well for it's price.
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2006
  3. gateway

gateway New Member

You can get good quality audio and video from Digital Video (DV) Camcorders, you may be able to borrow one from a friend
  4. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

I'm afraid I have to put my damp squib hat on here, and remind you that this practice is actually illegal :rolleyes:

In answer to your question about field recording, however, Brassneck's solution is a good one. There are also machines such as the Edirol R-09 , M-Audio Microtrack 2496, Zoom H4 (getting good reviews this one), the forthcoming Fostex FR-2 Lite.....

Before anyone starts questioning my definition of 'budget' these are the budget end of this particular market (even though they start at about £240) ;)
  5. matthetimp

matthetimp Member

Yes it is illegall to record with out a MCPS lisence. But everybody does it once don't they?! ;-). If a recording doesnt have to be top quality some people try a portable Mini-disc recorder with a small condensor mic. It will need batteries but should get a fairly good result of the recording..
  6. NeilW

NeilW Member

(non-iPod) MP3 player that has record capability with a T microphone.

My iRiver H320 records direct to MP3 pretty well like this. Other disk-based MP3 players like the offereings from Archos and iAudio, I believe, can also record.

(you might be able to record with an iPod running the Rockbox Open Source firmware - I'm not sure, I've not looked at what the iPod port can and can't do but I believe that stereo recording isn't a standard iPod feature, but could be wrong.)

MP3 has the advantage of being "reasonably compact" to send to your sister - if you choose a reasonable bitrate. OK, you're sacrificing some quality in compromise for filesize....

7. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Yes it is possible! I bought a belkin microphone attachement for my iPod, and used it to record several band bits and pieces. Very good quality providing your not too near the source! Have also done some GCSE music recordings on it.... very simple to use, everuthing recorded as an MP3 file which can then be emailed or put on CD very very easily.