Pershore Entertainments Contest 2009

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Nick Wilson, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Nick Wilson

Nick Wilson Member

My band is thinking of taking part in this contest in 2009. I went along to have a listen this year but did not take a pen with me.

Please could those who took part let me know the pieces that were played by bands in the lowest section. This will be really helpful in giving us an idea of the sort of music we would have to play and the standard.

2. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

3. Nick Wilson

Nick Wilson Member

Thanks, but only gives the bands and the points but not what was played as far as I can see.
  4. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

As I see it Nick, with an entertainment contest you choose music to show off the band to its best. In the 4th section (which I assume is the one you'll be entering) there was such a wide selection of music played. Bletchington played: American Trilogy (new arrangement for the contest), Blaydon Races, The Ashokan Farewell and Marching To The Movies (new arrangement for the contest).
  5. Hi Nick how did the conceert go -sorry I cvouldn't help did you get drummer?
    As for contests - we have always found that if you play pieces that the band is confident with and and can play well these are the pieces you should go with
  6. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

There's lots of programmes on the Wychavon thread from all sections.

And it doesn't necessarily follow that 'better' bands play harder music, just aim for a balanced programme of the the stuff you'd play at a normal concert and shows off your band's strengths.
  7. Nick Wilson

Nick Wilson Member

It went really well in the end, thanks for asking. There has since been some really positive feedback from people and the collection was well supported. I think our mix of the training band, the main band and some readings is a popular format.

The conductor managed to draft in at the last minute her son who came up from Bristol to play drums for us. Thanks for being interested in helping us. Hopefully next time we are short we will have a little more notice!

Happy Christmas and happy caroling!
  8. Nick Wilson

Nick Wilson Member

Thanks for that - thats a help. Any more 4th section bands like to offer their programme choices?