Performing Rights Society

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by hoppiebari, Jul 19, 2012.

  1. hoppiebari

    hoppiebari Member


    Bands received its annual PRS invoice, is this something that most bands pay?

    Interested if thereare any exemptions if for example most of venues a band performs already pay PRS

    Any advice?

  2. Ianroberts

    Ianroberts Well-Known Member

    you will find its totally discretionary, just make them a small donation and all will be fine.
  3. refman8

    refman8 Member


    We have being paying to PRS annually for well over 20 years. If there is a way around it please let us know. What do you mean by 'making a small donation'? Is this an option ? we just receive an annual invoice and given the usual period of time to pay!!
  4. Pauli Walnuts

    Pauli Walnuts Moderator Staff Member

    Do you own your own bandroom and if so, do you (or anyone else) perform there?
    Do you arrange your own concerts which are not in fixed premises for example, the village green or in the street?Then you need to pay.

    There are exemptions though:

    However, it is totally wrong to say it is discretionary - you are either obliged to pay for a licence or you aren't. You could also ask them direct
  5. Ianroberts

    Ianroberts Well-Known Member

    I was kidding !!
  6. Pauli Walnuts

    Pauli Walnuts Moderator Staff Member

    perhaps you need to be clearer next time by using things like this ;)
  7. Ianroberts

    Ianroberts Well-Known Member

    I consider my self told !! :tongue::tongue::tongue:
  8. jockinafrock

    jockinafrock Active Member

    Can someone tell me - I believe that we have to complete some form of 'return' each year and pay a fee. This would then go towards royalties etc. Is this correct, and is this the correct link? I vaguely remember completing a form where you wrote down a selection of the music you would be performing over a year, or has this changed?
    Many thanks. Tariffs/B-2012-11 Tariff.pdf
  9. iffytboner

    iffytboner Member

  10. jockinafrock

    jockinafrock Active Member

    I thought that was the correct tarrif. Is there anything else we need to complete with regards what we play, and where do we send it? This is for my wee band I conduct.
  11. iffytboner

    iffytboner Member

  12. jockinafrock

    jockinafrock Active Member

    Cheers for that! :)
  13. P_S_Price

    P_S_Price Member

    As a SA band - we are covered under the exemption for divine worship. I would however be interested to know how they work out the royalites due back to the copyright holder, and what percentage of the licence they retail as "Fees".

    For example our Hall has to have a PRS licence as we allow it to be used for secular events, and I wonder how they know what has been played/sung and who to pay?
  14. iffytboner

    iffytboner Member

    Info from PRS.....

    PRS bases distributions on the following methods, in order of preference:
    Census –
    This is the preferred basis for all distribution sections. A census
    distribution involves data collection, processing and payment for every single
    performance, often referred to as pay-per-play, within the licence period.
    Unfortunately it is not always feasible for PRS to distribute on a census basis, due
    to the nature and volume of music usage by some licensees. Usually, this is
    where no cost effective solution for collecting and processing data is available, for
    example music played in the background by licensed pubs.
    Sample –
    Where census distribution is not feasible, PRS seeks to collect a
    representative sample of actual performances as the basis to distribute total
    section revenue. This method is effective when (a) music usage is highly
    repetitive or there is a small breadth of total repertoire used and (b) PRS can
    collect statistically relevant sample information cost effectively.
    Sampling is not an appropriate distribution basis if data collection is expensive
    and there is a very high volume of music usage. For example, it would not be
    cost effective to collect a sample of background music played in pubs that is
    statistically representative.
    Analogy –
    An analogy based payment is used for any distribution section where
    census and sample methods are not feasible. This is usually because sufficient
    data is not readily available. The analogy method uses a similar, or analogous,
    data set as the basis for revenue distribution. Analogy is most frequently used for
    general public performance of non-featured recorded music, described in the
    public performance distribution sections later in this document.
    In some instances, combinations of these approaches may be used.
  15. VegasGeorge

    VegasGeorge Member

    This confuses me. When I went to the PRS webpage, and used the drop downs, I didn't even see a category for volunteer amateur bands. It looks as if it's totally directed toward commercial users. Why would your typical brass bands have to participate?
  16. Ianroberts

    Ianroberts Well-Known Member

    Cos its the law george
  17. iffytboner

    iffytboner Member

    Because your band plays music that has been composed or arranged by someone that does it for a living and they deserve a small payment each time their work is performed. That's why there is a sliding scale dependent on the level of skill and the number of public performances. "Pro" bands pay more whilst amateurs really just pay a nominal fee.

    No PRS for Music fees = no professional composers/arrangers = no music to play

  18. Anglo Music Press

    Anglo Music Press Well-Known Member

    When your band plays at a concert or contest, the venue will have a PRS licence, which will cover the statutory performance royalties. On occasions when you play at a venue that doesn't have a licence, say carolling in the street or maybe on a park bandstand, then the band needs a PRS licence to cover the performance royalties. Any performance in public needs a licence.