Performance Preparation

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by shinyboots, Dec 11, 2006.

1. shinyboots

shinyboots New Member

Does anyone out there believe that physical exercise can aid performance? :confused:

2. andyp

andyp Active Member

I'd say anything that helps your breathing can only be a good thing. Plus (at the risk of being obvious) if you're in the habit of marching around with a Bb bass it helps to be fairly fit.........

3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

At Don Lusher's memorial service there were several references to his keep-fit routine, including at least one occasion when it was inadvertently more public than he intended it to be.

4. mdmyatt

mdmyatt New Member

i dont think it helps i joined the army about 9 months ago and with all the physical fitness i was doing you would have thought it would have made your breathing in general better but when i came out to 2-3 months later there was no difference what so ever apart from it was alot easyer to carry my bass around lol!!!!

5. The brain works faster and cleverer when you've been exercising, as there is more blood and oxygen and stuff pumping round. That probably helps with everything; and explains wy sitting around watching TV causes people to turn into rotting cabbages who have lost the ability to speak intelligibly.

6. Bones

Bones Member

The is a story about Frank Sinatra asking Tommy Dorsey how he could seemingly played endless phrases without taking a breath. His reply was down to his lung capacity which he had increased by breathing exercises and taking exercise such as running and swimming. The end result was Frank Sinatra decided to take up running and swimming and did indeed increase his vocal phrasing.

However, this might have been a bit of a giggle cos I believe Tommy Dorsey could circular breathe.

7. Goodnight Irene

Goodnight Irene New Member

Definitely, since I have taken up exercise my lung capicity has increased. On top of that I actually feel so much better which in turn gives me the energy to practice more and therefore improves my performance.:p

8. screamlead

screamlead Member

Being fit definately does help. If you have good cardiovascular fitness it aids performance. also if you are fit you can learn to slow your heart rate down this is helpful when experiencing performance anxiety during contests - concerts!!

9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- maybe someone might want to buy an Xmas present? :icon_rolleyes: