Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by lilcornetgirl, Nov 28, 2005.

1. lilcornetgirl

lilcornetgirl Member

I would like to no if it is possible to play PERFECT? Do people in like champ sections play perfect? Do u play perfect? Is it really possible?
  2. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

in all honesty, i dont think there is such a thing as perfect. there will always be small slips, intonation issues etc.. everyone is human, and no-one is perfect.
  3. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

I'm always perfect, it's other people that are always wrong. ;-)
  4. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

I'm of the belief that the better you play something, the more you can do to improve it. The easy bit is getting the notes, rhythm and dynamics right. Getting the correct style that the composer intended is a lot more difficult.
  5. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

It's entirely possible to play every note correctly, at the correct dynamics and tempo, yet it still be an unsatisfying performance to listen to.

To give a personal example, I could play the notes, dynamics etc of the Scarlatti Sonatina that used to be the AB Piano Grade 5, yet compared to my brother Owen's renditions, it always sounded soulless. Owen could (and probably still can) make a piano sing - I never had been able to.

For me, the attraction of the Brass Band sound is the warmth of the sound, borne out of the 2/3 conical bores of most of the instruments. If you learn to put direction and feeling into your playing, I'd rather listen to you than a great technical player lacking soul.
  6. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

An interesting issue. I wouldn't like to personally say if there are any note perfect band performances out there, but for me the BBS 1992 performance of Year of the Dragon, and David King and Dyke's performance of Essence of Time come pretty close!
    As someone who's played in the championship section, I would say if you want a good chance of winning then you really cannot afford to make a single mistake. Perfect syle is quite a debatable issue, as with several composers you could argue quite reasonaby performing it different ways (Bach is a good example).
    I personally cannot claim to always play everything note perfect. I don't think anyone can truly claim to say that. (Well David Daws probably could).
  7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

HANNAH Member

Some say practice makes perfect, I say practice makes permanant.

Another good quote I like is...

"An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he can't get it wrong."

Back to the question can anyone play things, can they heck as like. I've heard about the best players in the world messing up big time on stage, we're all human!
  9. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I think there can be perfect moments ofvarying length...but I don't think it is really possible to play an entire piece perfect.
  10. lausonbass

lausonbass Member

i agree with brassneck!! something that is perfect to one person my only be average to another.

within brass bands a band may think they play a piece really well at a contest but come last, but they have heard it from scratch and how it has developed and changed.

Perfection is an opinion not fact.
  11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- that's my thoughts exactly .... but have a look at this :cool:
  12. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

And yet it says "this is not flawless" at one point, and got 98/100...
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

(I've just listened to the performance ... sort-of (I'm still knackered)!! ... the Cd's are available for the contest now)

post-edit:- Wake me up somebody! 5 points off my performance here .... the remarks are from a contest I DO NOT have a recording of! (... but I have them playing the Spheres from 2004 Belgian Nationals and Kerkrade).
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2005
  14. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

As music is so subjective I doubt that there will ever be an undeniably perfect performance of any piece by any band or player as what we all look for is subtally different.

It may be possible to play something mathmatically perfect (ie all the right notes in the right places) but to go any further than playing the right notes, I would think is very unlikely as there are always those little blemishes or very slight intonation issues that evey brass player has, no matter how good they are.

Still, an interesting idea though.
  15. Steve

Steve Active Member

Perfection from the view that every player played every note perfect or the view that it was exactly what you wanted to hear at that precise moment.

I have had many performances described to me as perfect purely because they captured a moment and game the listener a moment they will treasure. I have never and probably will never play in a performance of 30 odd players being 100% accurate at all times, thats simple human error though.
  16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

It also depends on the performance expectations of the listener. If expectations are fully met or exceeded, then they may describe this idealistic perception as perfect! How many times over the years (even this weekend) have I heard remarks about the C.W.S. (Manchester) performance as being 'perfect' when they won with Verdi's overture, 'The Force Of Destiny'?. Apparently the LP recording didn't match anywhere near that performance. It was also different to other bands on the day from the opening chords in the way they were presented. Rounded chords rather than being broad with a direct cut-off. Today, give them something slightly different from the norm and they'll either love or hate it!
  17. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I agree that "perfection" is subjective,
    but YBS' performance of Bourgeois' Concerto Grosso at the EBBC a couple of years ago must have come close... Didn't they get 99/100 for it?
  18. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

If you read the remarks carefully, you see it's the tempo which is described as perfect, not the whole performance.
  19. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

I know, that was my point. I assume it was being given as an example of a "perfect" performance, when it is obviously just an example of an exellent one. I was just pointing it out. Music, by it's very nature, is subjective and perfection isn't really achievable I wouldn't have thought.
  20. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- I put that link to show that for that composer, a certain Mr. Sparke, the band captured elements to the exact requirements of his original design for that piece, and therefore was 'perfect' for him in that context. However, another judge might have thought very much differently. Although notational accuracy is important, soloists can still create unique musical moments within any strict metronomic pulse of beats placed in direction (or studio clicks for that matter) by subtle use of rubato and technique. In that respect, perfection can be thrown out the window to be replaced by forward thinking stylistic idealism and aesthetic values!