Perfect Pitch?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Leyfy, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Test your aural perception here :)
  2. Everyone knows that perfect pitch is when you throa a saxophone in the dumpster, and it doesn't touch the sides.
  3. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

I don't think I have perfect pitch....although I wasn't that bad...
  4. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

TBH Getz it's more a test of relative pitch, rather than perfect pitch :)
  5. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

Ah...I see. It took me a while for my brain to adjust as I'm used to thinking in B flat pitch...
  6. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

That's not uncommon Getz.

I know loads of people who can sing a Concert Bb without hearing any notes before hand.

I'm one of them!
  7. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

Oooooo, quite pleased with myself on that : )
  8. TubaPete

TubaPete Member

Yeah it's not a perfect pitch test at all after the first note - it tells you the correct answer to that so the rest is a relative pitch test.

That said, it's a good ear training exercise.
  9. According to this, I shouldn't be involved with music.
  10. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I have learned relative pitch. I would actually hate to have perfect pitch, given that several people I know have it and spend most of their time cringing, whatever the ensemble. Apparently, it can be quite painful.
  11. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

I've heard that.

When I was at college, we were singing somethingorother, and the lecturer played it through on the piano first. One kid stuck up their hand and asked why they had played it in a different key to the printed copies given that's impressive.

Irritating after a while I'd imagine though.

Anyway, after lots of aural practice recently, my relative pitch skills are coming back, I'm pleased to say. Still can't sing mind.............
  12. b-flatcharlie

b-flatcharlie Member

I would appreciate it if any body has any tips in the field of D-flat trumpet. I only seem to play in B-flat these days.
  13. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

I got bored after level 11.

I have got perfect pitch but it's often more of a curse when conducting, especially if the band can't play in tune :(
  14. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

But surely as a conductor, part of your role within the band is to deal with this issue?! I can see that the players themselves do need to take responsibility for their own instrument, but sometimes it can be hard for people to notice when they are out of tune with an instrument on the other side of the room and a few octaves away from them, which is when the conductor should intervene? ;)
  15. Bass Trumpet

Couldn't agree more. Please don't read anything into an off-the-cuff remark.

The concept of 'playing in tune' is really a false one anyway. Equal Temperament is, in itself, out of tune, as it is simply a long series of compromises. Natural tuning is, to our equally tempered ears, out-of-tune! We're really in a no-win situation, fighting against the physics of the harmonic series.

From my own point of view, I am conducting a number of different bands on an as-and-when basis. Therefore, there is only so much one can do in a two-hour rehearsal and often there is not much time to spend on fine tuning as the regular conductor can sort that out.
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  16. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I remember Gillian Weir once saying in a lecture that she taught herself to have perfect pitch while studying in Paris with Messiaen. She spent her whole time with a tuning fork hitting things (including on the Paris undergrount!) and listening to it. She also said that she's spent the rest of her life since then transposing and compensating! :rolleyes:

My relative pitch is good because I spent years singing in choirs so identifying odd intervals is a doddle. I don't have perfect pitch, but I can usually tell what note is being played, although I do sometimes get confused and hear it in Bb! Which is odd, because I'm a tenor horn player :confused:

I suppose it might be nearly 30 years of playing in and conducting brass bands that has put my natural pitch into Bb..... (Eek, now I feel old! :eek:).
  17. Bass Trumpet

Now he was a guy who knew about perfect pitch! For those who don't know, Messiaen spent long hours out in the woods listening and transcribing wild birdsong in order to use it in his music. Some of the effects he created (or recreated?) are staggering. A real genius of music, sadly under-appreciated by many.
  18. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

You might find it more profitable to look at an instrument that exists - for example, the similar-sounding D/Eb trumpet? ;)
  19. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Maybe so, but when I turned on Radio 3 the other day and a Messiaen organ piece was playing, and it sounded like someone had sat rather heavily on the poor instrument, I'd rather 'appreciate' it from a distance .... and I love modern stuff!!!!
  20. floppymute

floppymute Member

Quite agree. I was at college with a guy who had perfect pitch and I often felt sorry for him. He used to complain that it was even hard to listen to the radio because the pitch changed slightly during the transmission process. Don't know how true that is.

Question...can you "teach yourself perfect pitch"?
    I was always under the impression it was something you were born with. Surely the alternative is only to teach yourself good relative pitch?