Percy Code's 'Zelda'

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Jasonp, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Jasonp

Jasonp Member

Can anyone point me in the right direction to finding any information on Percy Code and his composition 'Zelda'?
  2. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

No help I'm afraid, just to say it's a brilliant tuneful and challenging Solo.
    I've heard Maurice Murphy and Derek Garside polish it off with great elan.
    - Wilkie (Old Git )
  3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  4. wkt

wkt Member

I think Zelda was one of his daughters, but I don't know who told me that (It may not be right).
  5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

There's an interesting resource here, with access to view some of his scores.
  6. jackocorn

jackocorn Member

No connection I'm sure, but we bought a Wii for the kids for Christmas and it came with the game "Zelda Twighlight Princess ".

I think I'm too old to be wasting my life on console games - maybe I should join a Brass Band instead??
  7. smaca

smaca Active Member

When I was rehearsing this many years ago, my teacher told me at the time that the solo Zelda was about a ballerina(wrong spelling?), and in fact Zelda was a ballet dancer.

The music is supposed to reflect a ballet dance, with Zelda being the dancer.

And just had another memory of this piece:

When having a bad lesson my teacher would grumble "it sounds like Zelda has got welly boots on tonight instead of ballet shoes":oops: (maybe thats why I remember so clearly Zelda being about a ballet dancer)
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2008
  8. Mephi

Mephi Member

Code was a prolific soloist, your Herbert Clarke or Arban of Australia. Zelda was one of a trilogy of solos written about either his daughters or nieces Zelda (obviously!), Lucille and either Nanette or Zanette (not entirely sure).
    Would be able to provide you with more info from my degree studies but they're all packed away and i've just done my achilles, sorry!
  9. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

It was "Zanette"
    - Wilkie
  10. kensar

kensar Member

Memories again Ian. Played Zelda for my Youth Band audition when I made Principal Euphonium. Later heard John Berryman play it several times with GUS; Sublime, so controlled.
  11. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

The reason I remember "Zanette" Ken, is because I played ( attempted ) it when I auditioned (Successfully thankfully !) for Imps in 1963.
    It must have sounded a bit weird on EEb Bass !!
    - Ian.
  12. weenie

weenie Member

Helped out Carlton Main back in November at Stroud and Miss Abbots played this in her solo spot. All I can say is 'class player'!