Percussionists and warm ups

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by jafe, Mar 9, 2004.

1. jafe

jafe Member

what warm ups do you percussionists do before concerts and contests?

2. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

None - we're all perfect :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

3. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Well, so far as the men are concerned, bearing in mind a lot of percussion work involves the rapid up and down movements of ones arms and wrists........

Only joking percussionists! :lol:

4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Plenty of arm and leg movements, especially when kit has be carried up and down stairs :wink: :lol: :lol:

5. drums4monty

drums4monty Member

Lots of vocal warm up's, i.e. moaning a lot because the brass types always seem to stand or leave their cases right where we need to set up the kit etc. Also have you noticed that the powers that be wait till we've set up then decide to move the whole band forward or back, just a foot or so though?

:hammer

6. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Or just ignore when the percussionists ask for help in carrying kit onto/off stage? (as someone who has tried to play percussion, I do sympathise!)

7. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

im gonna be serious coz no1 else is, i generally tend to get my wrists moving, stretch them as well, i cant explain what i do for the stretches cos its too hard to explain
    but i make sure that my wrists are loose and flexible.

8. tim

tim Member

One of the percusionists at school does all these complicated warm ups... hes absolutely fantastic and he got ASKED to go to the northern he didn't hav to apply :shock: but his warm ups are funny to watch

9. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Ditto that...
    Stretches and clicking my hands is a nice start to a concert/contest for me :D

10. shedophone

shedophone Member

i always make sure my whole body is moving freely but apart from that my main warm up is in my head.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    ups
    contests
    Percussionists
    warm ups
    concerts
  12. Trigger

Trigger Member

Oohh that sums up Percussionists a treat!!! :roll: :lol: