Percussion?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by matti_raz, Sep 13, 2004.

1. matti_raz

matti_raz Member

Just out of interest did anyone from any other band want to move percussion and get told they weren't aloud and then geta very irrate nasty contest controller shouting at their MD for asking? Surely if as part of your interpretaion you would like timps on the other side of your band you should be aloud to do this?:-?
    Matt

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    interest
    anyone
    u
    contest controller
    side
  3. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Interesting point this. Just out of curiosity what section was this?

I played in the 1st Section and originally wanted the vibes and xylo switched around because that was the way we had practised it (why does r-e-h-e-a-r-s-e-d get the asterisk treatment??????). I made my point (in no uncertain terms :x) but going on stage though I noticed that the electric cord for the vibes was safely tucked away under some rubber tracking. To move the instruments would have caused a multitude of problems for the organisers. So to move the timps to the other side of the band would have been practically impossible.

In their defence they had sent to every band a layout of how the percussion would be positioned and no deviation from this (at least for the big stuff) would be allowed. Surely then it should have been up to you to rehearse with the percussion in that format.

I had absolutley no problems with the stage crew (and offered my apologies to the controller for my 'outburst'). "Shouting" though is not necessary.

4. matti_raz

matti_raz Member

Its third section. there was no wirnig or anything like that. we got a list on the thursday before the contest and its was at no point stated that they couldnt be moved! We won anyway!

5. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

Congratulations on your win.

Regarding the percussion thing. I went to my first rehearsal about 2½ months ago and I was given the list, the layout and the 'nothing can be moved' instruction then.

Maybe a lack of communication, eh!!!! ;)

Congrats again.

6. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Perhaps because it contains a rude word for bothered?

I was very impressed with the organisation on Sunday. I don't know about Saturday, but the stage crew were falling all over themselves to be helpful (not literally, of course) and the contest seemed to progress smoothly and with the minimum of fuss. Mind you, that could have been the beta blockers?

Anyone notice that the bands were only charged £2.50 to get in rather than the full price? Did I miss an announcement or something?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2004
  7. davie

davie New Member

We were charged a fiver on Saturday. Don't think many people paid it, so maybe that explains the further reduction on Sunday!