Percussion

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by yoooff, Jun 5, 2010.

1. yoooff

yoooff Member

Is it worth the hassle? Discuss.

2. Paddy Flower

Paddy Flower Active Member

If it was taken away wouldn't there be...

wait for it...

re-Percussions ??? :lol:

(I'm sorry, that was terrible)

3. David Mann

David Mann Member

Are you trying to drum up some support for your view?

4. simonium

simonium Member

Try doing any sort of engagement without a drummer. I'm a little biased admittedly but the kit player is pretty much the only essential member of a band. Without a soprano the band might lack a little sparkle, without a bass trombone the band lacks colour, but without a drum kit a band lacks all rhythmic drive and propulsion. Seems to me we ought to be grateful to them!

5. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Probably a bit harsh to question the concept, but I can certainly sympathise with a lot of bands' difficulties finding the players.

Another problem I think is the inconsistency in the percussion requirements - take Pentacle one year, followed by Moorside the year after. Some bands would have had to move mountains to find the players needed for Pentacle and then have them sitting around the bandroom the rest of the time.

I think the problem is not whether or not bands should have percussion, but I think there needs to be greater consistency in the player and equipment requirements for contests.

6. yoooff

yoooff Member

That from a Euphonium player (to whom be all praise and glory) too!!!

7. simonium

simonium Member

:) I was a drummer first and will always be a much better drummer than euphonium-ist. Still I'm not complaining about one case and a pack of music to lug about though.

8. Agree with the inconsistency issue. As a percussionist this year did not get off to the best of starts with having Moorside to work on. This is resulted on having 4 months away from band and now I find myself struggling to get motivated to going back twice weekly. Getting there slowly though.

Sometimes feel that we're not wanted and just seen as added extra and a nuisance with all our equipment to be lugged around.

9. Zappa

Zappa Member

Is it worth the Hassle? Absolutely!!!!!

Percussion is vital!!!

10. HowarthBrass

HowarthBrass Member

Yes, I think it is worth the hassle, as long as the percussion section don't wander off with the lions share of the fee that the band has earned for the gig, as happens with a few bands I've known!

Mark H.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Percussion
    hassle
  12. animal.22

animal.22 Member

FEE ? FEE ? What fee ??????? Nobody told me about any fee!!!! and anyway YOOF who are you going to swear at if you aint got no drummers eh :biggrin:

13. HowarthBrass

HowarthBrass Member

lol. Best try not to swear at the drummer too much, or you may never see him/her again! :biggrin:

Maybe it's different in your part of the world, but some percussionist's/drummers seem to think if they play percussion/kit, they're entitled payment.

Fair enough if they're depping, they should be offered expense's, like any mere brass playing dep, but if they're members of the band, why can't they just play for the enjoyment, like the rest of us? :confused:

14. animal.22

animal.22 Member

In my part of the country if I asked for payment from my band not only would it cause a healthy dose of laughter but I would most certainly be told to go forth and multiply and stop talking daft!!!! Expenses for deping are fine but being payed to play in your own band? av neva erd owt so stupid! :biggrin:

15. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

as long as bands are willing to pay people for there services, it will carry on.

16. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

are you serious?

do you really pay percussion players who are members of the band?

are you mad?

17. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Percussioninsts should pay to play in bands and by thunder damn their impertinance!!

18. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

having met the lovely Mr Animal (Sir), that wouldn't be the main reason not to swear at him....... ;)

19. animal.22

animal.22 Member

I'm a pussy cat realy. :biggrin: :biggrin:

20. HowarthBrass

HowarthBrass Member

Hey are you trying to get me into trouble? :wink:
    I wasn't necessarily talking about the shed builders in our band!

Hey that's brilliant !!!:clap:
    I'll mention that to our treasurer next time he's asking for fund raising ideas :biggrin:

21. fartycat

fartycat Member

It's the same for percussion in the orchestral world though - one week nothing to do, next week Carmina Buruna with all the bells and whistles. I did see a few sections play Moorside with 4 players(!). I presume they had 4 players who turn up regularly so wanted to use them and fair play. But the changing requirements from piece to piece is part and parcel of our job and frankly it would be a bit dull if every single piece had the same instruments/number of players. A fine example is In Memoriam RK - you can get by with just 1 player for this yet it is a) great writing and b) doesn't need anymore percussion.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Percussion
    hassle