Percussion solos

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by jafe, Mar 31, 2004.

1. jafe

jafe Member

What is your favourite percussion solo? it can be for an individual percussionist or for the whole section to play as an ensemble or even a duet

Mine has to be helter skelter
  2. AJSOP

AJSOP Member

zimba zamba is a good one
  3. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Top of my list is 'Variations for Percussion'...
    'Zimba Zamba' is cool too...

I can't stand the silly lil xylo solos like 'Helter Skelter' I'm afraid though... :lol: :p

4. AJSOP

AJSOP Member

oh yea, i remember that 1 from CY band. Very good piece
  5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

"Ole South", as on the recent Sellers' cd "American Landscapes" is an attractive duet for xylophone and marimba, and I quite like "Russky Percussky", although some will find it rather corny.
  6. Steve

Steve Active Member

Drummers Delight is mine, was made infamous by Paul Marshall and Paul Kelly at Youth Brass many years ago. It is a cheesy band tune with a huge percussion break in the middle where they all have a little competition. Great stuff :lol:
  7. Maestro

Maestro Active Member

Sandpaper Ballet rules!!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted:
  8. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Perc Solo

Perc Solo..Mmmmm " the Clock and the Dresden Figures " arr Howard Snell is great for your percussion team...
  9. AJSOP

AJSOP Member

Simone rubello played A Little Prayer. that was something special
  10. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Re: Perc Solo

Yeah I like this one too....complete with "broken clock" sound effects. We did this at NYBBS a few years ago. Quality.
  11. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Yea, was magic...
    Lovely piece :)

.....and it's Rebello, by the way ;-)
  12. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

ive played a piece called tea for two at youth band and its basically a percussion section solo and its quite fun!
  13. I have no idea whatsoever of what percussion solos are all about however I would like to say that I have a recording of a piece called 'Triplets', performed by Evelyn Glennie and Black Dyke and it's one of my favourite light Brass Band solo recordings. :D
  14. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

I can't remember the name, but it had something to do with Cooking...

What's Cooking!! that's it!!