Percussion solos or features

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by bagpuss, Apr 28, 2004.

1. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

Can anyone recommend any decent percussion features/solos. I've heard all the Zimba Zamba's and the Czardas's but I'd like to have a go at something that us mere mortals might be able to do with some degree of success All suggestions gratefully received!!

Puss

2. kate_the_horn

kate_the_horn New Member

we played a piece way back,

chorale and rock out, simple normal kit beat until the end, nice little drum kit fill (about 5 mins or so)
    tis mad do what u want?!

or cry of the celts, summat like that!

kate x

3. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

I remember that one!!!! I haven't played that for years!!!! In fact I think the last time I played it was in my County Brass band days (someone is bound to contradict me).

B. Puss esq.

4. flashbarry

flashbarry Member

I have done a couple:

Brassed Off written when I was at Salford long before the film, which is a kit feature

Barock which is a feature for kit and timps.

Both available from Wright and Round

Cheers

5. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

How about something like Helter Skelter or Xylomania? Not too difficult and looks really flashy too (which is what percussion solos are all about let's face it) :D

6. ukdrummerboy

ukdrummerboy Member

Ray Farr's arrangement of "Toccata in D min" is fantastic, both for kit and xylophone. Not too difficult either

7. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Goff Richards arr. of Strike up the Band is good for Kit feature...

If you want a challenge have a look at Variations for Percussion ;-)

8. jo

jo Member

spinning song for xylo is really easy to play but looks quite impressive if you can get the speed right.

9. shedophone

shedophone Member

Helter Skelter and On the Track are pretty easy, but they're all over played.

A good thing to do is take a well known solo and add a bit of improvisation over the top, put in a few extra glisses and stuff. A bit of artistic licence always goes down well with an audience.

Have a listen to Evelyn Glennie's "Reflected in Brass", there's a few nice solos on there, as well as arrangements for marimba and vibraphone.

Most of them are pretty easy, i dont know if she'll have the only rights to the music though.....

10. shedophone

shedophone Member

I'm not sure I'd agree with spinning song being that easy actually- the notes are easy to play, but it is difficult to lead the ensemble and stay together. there's also much more dynamic contrast than in any other solo ive come across- which is nice, but needs more careful thought than just bashing out ye helter skelter types as fast as possible...

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Czardas
    Zimba Zamba
    degree of success
    decent percussion features
    Percussion solos
  12. jo

jo Member

true, but because the notes are easy to play any work you do on it can then be focussed on dynamic contrast...as for keeping the ensemble together, it just needs the right ensemble! :D I remember performing it way back in the mists of time before I went to uni with a local 1st section band, who managed to keep it together admirably.

13. Steve

Steve Active Member

Pastime With Good Company, the kit player can really let loose there and most the band players I know enjoy playing it as well.

14. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Quite possibly yes; as I asked Peter Graham whether Rudy's Rambles was availiable to buy and the answer back was no.

;-)

15. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

Some solos are overplayed, I'd agree with that. However, why not play them? A popular work is so for a reason, but a little showboating, especially on percussion, goes a long way (in a concert certainly!).
    Regarding the Evelyn Glennie album, it always struck me as a little strange. One of the world's finest percussion soloists, never having played full time with a band, doing a solo album consisting of (if memoery serves correctly) basically Peter Graham arrangements (good as they are) that aren't available to buy. Good playing, but in many ways a bit pointless? Maybe it's just me. :oops:

16. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

There is a Salvation Army piece called "Daniel", an old Sunday school song given the rock treatment by Barrie Gott, which has a kit fill in it half way through. If I remember correctly, the fill lasts for 8 bars, but I have known it to go on for longer than that.

17. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

I remember hearing a TEN MINUTE(!!) drum break during 'Daniel' once. Talk about overkill.

However, as far as recommending the piece goes, it's a bit cheesy but was always a crowd pleaser.

Paul Drury
    Edinburgh Gorgie SA Band

18. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

if you want a percussion section feature, ive played a piece called tea for two, it mainly features percussion and its written for 3 players. its a fun piece to do!!!!!!!

19. Owen

Owen Member

It might be a bit trite, but I always liked "The Clock and the Dresden China Figures" (I may not have that quite right...) as a percussion feature. No idea how easy or otherwise it is to play, as I have only ever heard it on recordings.

20. drums4monty

drums4monty Member

There are also the easy 'throw away' pieces such as The Typewriter and Sandpaper Ballet, I've done this in a couple of different ways, real crowd pleaser, also I have arranged William Tell for Pots 'N Pans (Spike Jones style).

21. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Here's a nice little solo for all you Xylophone players :D

The Finale from William Tell:

Click Here

Free Solo part available too!

:wink:

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Czardas
    Zimba Zamba
    degree of success