Percussion solo - looking for ideas

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by bigcol, Jan 29, 2006.

1. bigcol

bigcol Member

Evening all.

I'm looking for ideas for our tuned percussionist who is looking to play a solo.

She's not a kit player, and doesn't want to play the usual done-to-death stuff on Xylophone. Standard needs to be moderate (we are a 3rd section band) and I haven't got the first idea about band solos of this type.

Is there anything that involves multiple instruments? just timps? a few pots and pans? ;)

Anyone got any suggestions?

The only thing I know is Tea for Two, but that's a duet, tricky and expensive (3 for 3 then!).

TIMBONE Active Member

3. bigcol

bigcol Member

Cheers Tim - I was looking for an out-and-out solo for the lass though :(
  4. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

Is that your arrangement or the normal one - if its the normal one we already have it. :)
  5. imthemaddude

Is we had a large percussion section, we played the clock with the dresden figures at summer school last year and that piece has an element of sheer class. - Was it not played at Butlins recently aswell?
  6. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

the perc parts for tea for two can be rearranged so that all the xylo stuff is on one part, not quite what the composer intended probably, but it is possible to do all the xylo parts by one person..

oh yeah, and isnt there 2 diff perc arrangements for tea for two anyway.. one with marimba in and aload of other stuff, and the other one with 2 xylos.

the one im on about is the one with 2 xylos.

TIMBONE Active Member

I think you may be getting mixed up with something else with a similar name. As far as I am aware, there is only one published arrangement of "Manhattan Spiritual", made famous by the jazz drummer Eric Delaney and his band in the 1960's.
  8. bigcol

bigcol Member

Nope Tim she's right - there's an arrangement of it which several of the North East bands have. It is a manuscript jobby so 'unofficial' but it's the same piece. Features percussion quite a lot too. Greggs used to play it a lot and even we've done it a few times at Entertainment's Contests.
  9. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Russky Percussky - Goff Richards (Studio)
    Zimba Zamba - Goff Richards ( Studio)
    In the Woods - Strauss arr Howard Snell
    Ol' Man River - Arr Mark Freeh

worth investing in and working on.
  10. bigcol

bigcol Member

Forgotten about old Russky - I'll put that one on the list. Ol Man is very good but not quite a percussion solo - more of a feature.

TIMBONE Active Member

Cheers Colin. I did say 'published' arrangement. Mr Gibbs, MD of Mid Rhondda Band did mention a manuscript version, which he said was from some years ago when the tune was in the charts! It obviously found it's way to the North East. :biggrin:
  12. bigcol

bigcol Member

Ahh Rusky is for two players as well - are there no solos for one player out there?
  13. 1alexm

1alexm Member

little lisa - but i don't know weather it is a solo or a feature, also not sure if its for drum kit.
    hope ive helped
  14. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

It's a percussion solo dude!!!
    It has a solo part, which has everything apart from the kitchen sink in it... (!!)

and then a separate percussion 2 part (extremly basic kit stuff- SD offbeats mainly and ickle rhythms and cymbal hits- the music is right in front of me here...), which is just for accompaniment along with the brass types for the soloist...

Ace percussion solo if you have all the gear for it! I wouldn't rule it out at all otherwise.
  15. imthemaddude

As all good things do :biggrin:

TIMBONE Active Member

Hey bigcol, forgive me, (can't be bothered with a pm), are you the same Colin Harris who played with Sale Youth Ensemble which I took my kids to? If you are, I never associated bigcol with littlecol :biggrin: And if you are, (unless by coincidence there is another Colin Harris who plays the tuba), did you leave before I became one of the tutors? (it was a long time ago). If you are he himself, then Abi & Jon send their regards, if you are not, they still do 'cause they are well brought up :biggrin:
  17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I don't know if the solo will be too difficult or not for the soloist but the band parts seem okay .... The Golden Age Of The Xylophone (R.Eyles and F.Werle). It was featured on the Dyke CD with Evelyn Glennie.
  18. bigcol

bigcol Member

Naomi -any chance of eluding further. . . our band doesn't have a kitchen sink, so that's a good start!
  19. bigcol

bigcol Member

Tim - tis I! thought you knew ;) Not so little anymore.
  20. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

If you are looking for a good perc solo (especially Kit Solo) then Cute is a good one but I am not sure who arranged it possibly Geoff Richards