Percussion required for Areas 2006 Championship Section Test Piece

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Friary Admin, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Friary Admin

Friary Admin New Member

Hi to the jolly people!

Does anyone know what percussion is required for the Areas 2006 Championship Section Test Piece? The only thing I have heard is it might need a CD Player!!

Please help, I want to spend my band's money (shhhh, don't tell them).

Thanks

2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

3. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

???

4. Friary Admin

Friary Admin New Member

The piece I'm looking for is 'Journey to the Centre of the Earth' by Peter Graham, not this years finals piece.

Thanks

5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Sorry - having a brainstorm!!!

6. Friary Admin

Friary Admin New Member

Please help – I have a band management team meeting on Thursday and its traditional for me to whiter on above stuff that nobody else understands or cares about, otherwise I’ll have to tell them we need to invest a few grand in a bangin’ sound system to whack the CD through!!:terrier

ta

Matt

Principal shed builder and reserve triangle smacker, Friary Guildford Band.

7. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

Just tell them to buy whatever you don't have; vibes, marimba, various sizes of gong, wind machine, some more timps etc, etc.
    Well it's worth a go!
    (You may have noticed I don't actually know the answer to your question, sorry!)

8. Friary Admin

Friary Admin New Member

I like your thinking. Can Anyone confirm whether 'Journey to the Centre of the Earth' needs a full octave of beer barrels or not?

9. dyl

dyl Active Member

In a vague attempt to actually answer the question that was asked, the work hasn't been released yet. From Gramercy's website:

[font=Verdana, Geneva, Arial][/font]

So technically at the minute only Black Dyke should have a copy, so you could ask them - but I'd be wary of any changes that may or may not have been made since they performed it at the Europeans, in order to make it more suitable for the Areas.

10. Friary Admin

Friary Admin New Member

OK, thanks. Anyone from Dyke wanna give me a quick heads-up? Or if anyone heard Dyke playing...

Cheers

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Areas 2006 Championship Section
    Areas 2006 Championship Section Test Piece
    size
    font
    Arial
  12. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

According to 4barsrest the cd part of the whispers is optional. The CD will be provided for those bands that wish to use it

13. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

Yer, CD's will come with the band parts and scores, it optional whether you use the CD or not, and all of the regional commitee's have been asked to provide a CD player.

14. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

Oooooh, I've heard this piece (it's great) at a Dyke concert at the Bridgewater Hall. At the time I had no idea what was going on, but one of the percussionists was winding a...gramophone type thing? Whatever it was it had great projection, but it certainly didn't look like a cd player. I wasn't paying too much attention though, sorry! I've got some programme notes somewhere if that's any use?

15. Friary Admin

Friary Admin New Member

Programmwe notes would be cool, thanks!:clap:

16. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

Well it's more about the ideas behind the music than the music itself but here goes...

The French novelist Jules Verne created a unique blend of science and adventure in his series of novels known as "Voyages Extraordinaires". Written in 1864, Journey to the Centre of the Earth is on the surface and adventure story but as the commentator Diana Mitchell has observed on a deeper level can be sees as !man's journey of himself, always probing deeper for what lies at the centre".
    The novel takes the form of a sequence of diary entries by Axel, nephew of Professor Otto Lidenbrock. The pair follow coded instructions in an old document giuding them to Iceland where, together with their guide Hans, they enter the open crater of an extinct volcano Snaefells and pursue a trail to the centre of the earth. There follows "hair-breadth 'scapes and ventures perilous" as the intrpid explorers encounter a vast interior world.
    This music presents scenes from the novel in a rough chronoligical order. The work opens on the dark and brooding Summit of Snaefells and follows the adventurers as they descent into the bowels of the earth. En route they encounter the Wonders of the Terrestrial Depths (an electrically illuminated sky), a drean sesquence before the final Ascent and Homecoming. The key scene of the book (and the music) reflects on Axel's dispair as he becomes seperated from his companions and is Lost in the Labyrinth. His subsequent rescue is due to an acoustic phenomenon whereby he hears the voices of his friends in The Whispering Gallery.
    Journey to the Centre of the Earth is dedicated to Ryan and Megan who love the story!

Not sure exactly how useful that will be (!) but the notes were written by Peter Graham himself.

17. Friary Admin

Friary Admin New Member

Sounds like a swannie whistle might be needed then!!

Thanks for typing that in... did this describe the performance Dyke gave?

18. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

Er...to be honest I wasn't reading the programme notes until after the concert. The music was amazing though...

sorry, not much help!

19. Friary Admin

Friary Admin New Member

Cool, I shall look forward to playing it next year... Any percussionists from Dyke wanna help me out?

20. tsawyer

tsawyer Member

I have no details, but I feel your pain. Top section contesting seems to move from "lets play an old piece, you need a snare drum, a bass drum and two timps" to "let's play a new piece, with parts for loads of instruments you don't have" with not much in between...

Tim.

21. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

PLEASE don't encourage him, we can't afford it!!!! (I'm sure my new baritone is higher up the wish list Matt! :p )

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Areas 2006 Championship Section
    Areas 2006 Championship Section Test Piece
    size
    font
    Arial