Percussion players where were you?.......

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Shaggy, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member should have been at the Barbican Centre London on Saturday to hear the worlds greatest Vibraphone player Gary Burton. Forget yer Simone Rubellos and yer Evelyn Glennie,s they cant hold a candle to this lad!! what a fantastic player. He was performng with the equally outstanding Chick Corea on piano.

Whats that I hear from the Brass Band philistines and the mouldy old stick in the muds?..."yes thats all very well Shaggy but its not a Brass Band is it, I bet they dont know Sladeburn or Bandology"..........dear oh dear!! get a life a saddos!!

There is a great big wide world out there, have a look and see what you are missing.
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2007
  2. bongo massive

bongo massive New Member

Well what can I say Shaggy? I wish I was there, although what music were they playing? From a very early age I have been kept in a box, and although fed regularly I have only been listening exclusively to brass band music for some considerable years. Indeed it is only after your enlightening post on this site that I am now aware of other forms of music. Why has nobody informed me that there was more out there? If you could give me some more information on non-brass band music it would be much appreciated, as I am clearly a stick-in-the mud "saddo" because on Saturday just gone I was not at the same venue as yourself.

Yours in musical ignorance,
    Aled Jones.

p.s - I could not have made it anyway as I was let out of my box to play a gig with a rock band on saturday night........
  3. Texus

Texus Member

Hold on there Shaggy - I am a big fan of Mr Burtons'. Excellent musician - some great albums.
    Unfortunately i was in Preston doing the Contest so please don't criticise Brass Banders too much on a Banding site!

Glad you enjoyed it tho..
  4. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Simple and straightforward 4 step instructions on: "How to avoid someone trying to wind you up..." on tMP :)

... enjoy :)
  5. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Very good MM!!

I think the uniformed topic creator may wish to rethink his opinions of brass band players in general, and maybe especially percussionists as we probably play for a wider variety of ensembles than most, after he's apologised I may utilise your excellent system!
  6. bongo massive

bongo massive New Member

Well said Ploughboy. In case anyone is worried, I don't live in a box......
  7. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

Dear oh dear! as usual people reply to the post they wish I had made, rather than the one I in fact made. There are a number of Brass Band folks who are no doubt not philistines or stick in the muds and therefore this post would not apply to them would it? I think Bongo massive protests a little too much!

Any road it was a fantastic display of musicianship and the place was packed out to listen to these jazz Gods. There was a good range of music on display along with a lot of written stuff as well.
  8. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

Actually, most of the "philistines and stick in the muds" are less than keen on percussion in brass bands other than for marching, so the chances of them going to see a jazz percussion soloist...

I was conducting a brass band + choir joint concert on Saturday night so I wouldn't have had the luxury. Was the gig flagged up on here before it happened? It's a bit late only telling people about it afterwards.

And being really picky, I don't know 'Sladeburn', only 'Slaidburn'. Presumably the former is the Black Country glam rock version? :p

(By the way, the Philistines were actually one of the most advanced cultures in the ancient Middle East. Why do we use it to mean a person who is culturally ignorant? Any ideas?)
  9. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

What about the Wayne Shorter gig coming up in Harrogate Aug 4th, he's gotta be worth seeing - Who knows maybe Harrogate Town band will be the warm up act and we'll all be satisfied!
  10. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

hey what a great bill that would be! would love to hear Shorter do an air vary with the band.
  11. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

I don't know why I'm answering this, but please don't assume we weren't there or that we don't 'have a life'. (I was actually stuck at Glasgow Airport, getting terrorised!). Don't call all tMPers 'saddos' please. At least most of them have a degree of courtesy....

And plurals don't require the possessive apostrophe, let alone the comma you used.
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  12. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

And he insists on contributing to tMP himself...tarred with his own brush me thinks...
  13. Anglo Music Press

In don't insist on anything - just dislike rudeness.
  14. 2nd man down

No, I meant Shaggy insists on contributing on here, despite apparently thinking everyone on here to be a saddo.
  15. Anglo Music Press

Ahh! Alles klar!
  16. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

I would have thought that level of "anorak" obsession with grammar surely qualfies at least one TMP member to rejoice in the title of "saddo"!

So, ten out of ten for spotting obscure punctuation errors, nought out of ten for basic comprehension. Please show me where in my post I accuse ALL TMP posters of being "saddos"? I clearly do no such thing, as indeed I explain in my later post.

As you apparently consider courtesy to be paramount, I would suggest you pay me the courtesy of reading the words in my posts before replying. They are not that hard to find, they are normally to be discovered inbetween the punctuation marks.
  17. 2nd man down

"Incorrect" punctuation marks if you please...
  18. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

Despite my "rudeness" I am rather touched that Anglo, like a naughty school boy caught in the act of scrumping, felt compelled to explain his abscence from the Barbican Centre!

Never in my wildest dreams did I expect anyone to miss the point so completely, or take the post so seriously, as to actually feel it their duty to tell me why they were not there!

Anglo wonders why he bothered to reply?....blimey! so do I.
  19. Anglo Music Press

I'm delighted you enjoyed the concert and sorry I missed it if it was so good. But 'getting things right' is not an anorak obsession as far as I'm concerned.

We have many complaints on this forum about badly edited test pieces. Why is it OK to be careless or ignorant of grammar but a sin to have similar errors in music??

I didn't know about the concert and so was never going to be there, but I was just trying to explain that some of us had other things to do last Saturday that didn't involve being a 'saddo'.
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2007
  20. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.