Percussion players....the worst thing 2 happen 2 bands?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Andy_Euph, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Not because of playing but the fact that even though it's all there gear most of the band put there equipment away...discuss :twisted:
  2. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

But you'd be lost without us. Imagine how something like the Pines of Rome would sound without us percussionists! :p Pretty...quiet I say!
  3. Danny_L

Danny_L Member

Pretty quiet and correct!! :p

Just kidding.
  4. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

only if I'm not playing ;)
  5. Di

Di Active Member

Humph, we have a little percussionist and we've rarely noticed anyone else packing his kit away for him!

He guested for a band a couple of weeks ago (and has since become a member) and about 5 people offered (weren't asked, offered) to help take the kit off of stage, then we packed it all in its bags and into the car. It's never been put away so quick, it was great.
  6. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

Many hands..... :p
  7. sunny_jimbob

sunny_jimbob Member

........and you still can't play in time! :lol: :wink:
  8. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

The worst thing about drummers is that they eventually want to be percussionists which means lots of toys and most of the band room space taken up by rattles, bells and various mobiles that they like to play with.

It also means that they put a lot of noisy things behind the basses and take a childish delight in 'surprising' us when we least expect it (this is, of course, usually because they are in the wrong place in the music.)

I have come to develop a total loathing for all kinds of cymbals, Gongs and Bass drums. :hammer
  9. Bluebottle

Bluebottle Member

yep, the basses loved the blitz section in coventry variations! :twisted:

10. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

Our band was listening to a percussion sectional before full band for Harrisons Dream and someone said 'is this a contest to guess what they are building?'
  11. Well Worth It

I reckon it's high time you tube blowers got over the situation!
    Drums are here to stay. :D
  12. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

If they're here to stay, does that mean we can leave them where they are when we go out to concerts :?: :wink: :lol:

(Only joking, from the father of a percussionist and lugger of percussion gear :oops: )
  13. Well Worth It

Highly likely if no-one lends a hand after the gig.
    Oh....but wait a minute......the coach can't leave until the kits on board.

"Evvvvrybody off. Grab what you can and let's get out of here!"
  14. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

In my experience, the problem comes if there are refreshments laid on afterwards - most of the band put their own gear away then disappear for their cup of tea, and then by the time we get there they are all itching to get away, so we're lucky to get anything at all :shock: :!: :twisted:
  15. mikelyons

It comes with the territory. No one ever asks the BBb basses if they need a hand with their big heavy instruments! (Not even the EEbs!) :twisted: I have to admit it's the timp players I really feel sorry for. :lol:
  16. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

ah tis true that maybe they should have taken up the piccolo....but i say that percussionists are an asset to banding

except when you get the over enthusiastic types on kit....... :?
  17. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

With all the kit to put away after practise, it takes so much longer to get to the pub.

When we have a practise with no perc players, everyone's out of the band room in seconds, but when they're there, we feel it's only polite to stand and watch them put it away, hence we lose around 10-15 mins drinking time.
  18. paulspud

paulspud Member

Maybe, Mr Lyons, we (the percussionists) are in the right place, and you, (the basses) are not.

You love us, really. Who else would you have to call at band??

Those "toys" add a touch of colour to a lot of pieces. Anyway, I know you like us because you are writing more percussion parts in your pieces!!!

Paul S
    Percussionist ( and very good friend of Mike Lyons!)
    Old Hall Brass
  19. mikelyons

Go on - spoil my reputation! Just like a bloody percussionist - can't keep quiet when he's supposed to....*beep* rant....*beep* rant... :dunno

Sorry, I'm beginning to sound like a solo cornet. :twisted:
  20. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

We don't give you a hand because you only need one person to put it in a case! :p I think our basses would get quite insulted if someone asked them if they needed a hand putting their instrument away!