Percussion part(s) on Life Divine

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by iaindrum, Sep 25, 2007.

1. iaindrum

iaindrum Member

We got life divine out the other night and I know its a old piece but is there only a bass drum in it for percussion, I know parts sometimes get lost and hoping thats whats happened in this case as I cant think of anything more draining than playing nothing but a bass drum for 12 mins.

2. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Sorry to disappoint, but I think that is all there is. Life Divine was written at a time when there wasn't really any writing for percussion in bands except for Bass Drum, Snare Drum amd Cymbals.
  3. iaindrum

iaindrum Member

I thought there must be a snare/cymbal parts somewhere in the bandroom, but now its looking more and more less likely.
  4. weenie

weenie Member

Are you playing this at a forth coming contest? If not, why don't you make a snare drum and clash cym part up to go with the bass drum part. I'm pretty sure that when I last heard a recording of it (I think it was an old Dyke recording) it had all three parts being played which made it a tad more interesting. (But make sure you keep the dynamics down!) ;-)
  5. iaindrum

iaindrum Member

yer, butlins prob same as you guys, I managed to get a faireys recording and that is only bass drum so I think there will be a few redundant percussionists wandering like the cast of resident evil aimlessly around skegness over that weekend.
  6. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

>>Are you playing this at a forth coming contest? If not, why don't you
    >>make a snare drum and clash cym part up to go with the bass drum part

Please, please,.........don't encourage him....... it's bad enough as it is........

And it is NOT written that the Bass Drummer has to spin the beaters round between entries.....
  7. Timpking

Timpking Member

Only bass drum, although I think Roy Newsome wrote some extra parts (timp and cyms maybe snare) when I played it with the national youth brass band with him conducting it.

Think of it as a few weeks off band at the start of the year!! Great:p
  8. Alan Fernie

Alan Fernie Member

Wouldn't it be an idea for the organisers to commission a present day composer or arranger to write an enhanced, but of course relevant, percussion part? Timps would really make this music even more "epic"!
  9. Timpking

Timpking Member

No not at all!
    I appreciate that percussion wasn't used in contests when Life Divine was composed however that is surely how he wanted it. He could of have quite easily written triangle, cym or snare parts but didn't want to. Also lets be honest "enhancing" the music or rewriting perc parts didn't work with Epic symphony or Pagentry.

If they do rewrite percussion parts then lets have a persussionist to write them. Paul Lovatt Cooper seems to be flavour of the month again so let him do it.

But I think the best thing is to leave it the way it is, its a great piece!!
  10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I can't speak for "Epic Symphony", but I'm pretty sure the revised parts for "Pageanty" were prepared by Rodney Newton (formerly a percussionist at the highest level), and largely based on the parts written by the composer when he rescored the work for orchestra. They certainly did not meet with universal aproval, despite his best efforts, and I tend to feel it would be best not to try and tinker with the original orchestration.
  11. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Pagentry -In 1995 the piece was subjected to what it must be said was a very sympathetic and neutral bit of cosmetic surgery in the form of additional percussion writing by Philip Wilby. This was done through the request of the publishers, the then Novello and Chester Brass Band Series whose General Editor was Bram Gay.
    In 1937 Howell's recast ‘King's Herald' as a fanfare prelude for the coronation of George VI (which was forgotten amid to acidity of the letter writing, and was rather spuriously used as final justification for the changes) but it is in its original form as a pure brass band test piece that it remained in its most acceptable guise.
  12. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for putting me straight, Nick ;)