Percussion Help?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by WhatSharp?, Jan 22, 2004.

1. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Does anyone know where I can get a cover for our bass drum (not sure of the size, will have to measure it). I've been charged with the task of getting a quote in for a new one, but the internet has yielded very little (other than one for £128! ... is this normal?).

Hope you can help.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    anyone
    Percussion Help
    cover
    bass drum
    task
  3. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

blimey!! I'd make one!!.......... whats wrong with an old sleeping bag? :wink:

4. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Bit small, unless its a double!

I was thinking about a Duvet (or two)!, then we could call ourselves "Yes We Do Bed linen" :D

Along similar lines we need to sort something out for the Tam-Tam but that may require some creative thinking.

5. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Wem Band have had lots of covers made for their percussion equipment, but unfortunately I can't remember who made them. I'll ask at rehearsal tomorrow night and report back.

:wink:

6. Aidan Geary

Aidan Geary Member

The best covers (in my humble opinion!) are those made by 'Mushroom Covers'.

Check them out at www.mushroomcovers.co.uk

Or call JaM Percussion on 0151 709 9709 (same company now, though still using the old website.)

The current prices are on the site.

I have used Mushroom Covers throughout my playing career, and recommend them highly.

7. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

OUCH!

:D

We were thinking a bit cheaper than than, but I'll see what t'Comittee say.

8. HBB

HBB Active Member

Just get john to write you a cheque! ... 8)

9. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

A friend of mine had a tam tam cover constructed out of sleeping bags and it lasted for quite some years. It's also a lot easier to carry than a hard case! I believe he also had a bass drum cover made along similar lines....

Dave

10. Sonor

Sonor New Member

I personally use Hardcase cases as I have found that these are the best. Depends on what size you want though.

Look for Hardcase cases on the internet or Le Blonde based in Dunstable. I would go along with Aidy that Mushroom covers are excelent if you want a "soft bag" design.

11. weenie

weenie Member

If you want really good value for money, you could try a B.D. case by 'Protection Racket', they're excellent. Not too sure about the price, but really do the biz!! I'd also agree with Sonor, Le Blonde are good value.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    anyone
    Percussion Help
    cover
    bass drum
    task
  13. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

Sorry Roger, I was at work!! :(

In answer to the question though, all opf our percussion cases (hard cases and soft covers) were custom made by Percussion Plus. I know that many people will hate the mention of the company but they were VERY well priced and have served their purpose very well indeed.

Depends really though on the type of case you're looking for. If you're looking for a hard 'flight' case for a kit bass drum then it is definitely worth shelling out on cases by Protection Racket. They are expensive but they are also guaranteed for life (take note Roger....I want these!!) Unfortunately, having spoken to our supplier (Drum Korner at Salop Music Centre - very, very good), they don't make the cases large enough for a concert bass drum or something of that size, neither do they unfortunately make a cover large enough to take our Tam Tam.

On the other hand, if you're after 'soft' covers to put over stuff to protect it I can highly recommend the ones we had made by Percussion Plus. They are made from a very heavyweight padded material that looks similar to denim (in black though). They are padded covers and are custom made to the sizes you give. Unfortunately, Percussion Plus do not deal directly with individuals and you would have to go through a local supplier to get these made. When we had ours done at Wem, I found them very helpful and if I remember correctly, a cover large enough to fit over our 36" concert bass drum and stand cost about £50 (bear in mind this was about 3 or 4 years ago).

Hope this helps. If you are struggling to find a helpful supplier, PM me and I'll give you the number for Drum Korner in Salop Music Centre (no I'm not on commission), he is very helpful indeed and his prices are good too!!!

Hope this helps

Bagpuss

14. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

and they're really fun for getting lost inside :lol:

15. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

We could use them as communal sleeping bags for the tMP Camping Trip!

:D

16. Sonor

Sonor New Member

If it is for a concert bass drum then I suggest you contact Le Blond directly at Dunstable. They will make you one up in an hour if they haven't got any in stock. They are lightweight, whether proof and will give plenty of protection for your drum.